Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sunday

 So I was talking to a girl at work.  Her boyfriend has fathered 3 children with various disabilities and she was wondering if she should have a baby with him.  I told her no, disabilities are a lot of work for the people who love them.  I think she thought I was unkind but I can't imagine knowingly signing up for that if you knew what was coming.  

And it got me thinking during my shower, after his accident Ron was confused.  The urologist put him on Cardura which we later found out had all sorts of negative neurological side effects.  One day Ron refused it and he was pretty alert.  He asked what was going to happen to him.  I tearfully explained "everyone" had told me he would do great with a lot of rehab, but, for various reasons, rehab wasn't happening.  It would be up to me and me alone.  He put his good arm around me, pulled me close, and used his good arm to pull his bad arm around me too (I loved that).  

Ron told me he didn't want a fancy rehab, he just needed my love, at our home, with the cats.  That is all he wanted, could I do that?  Love him?  And of course I said yes.  "We're fine" he said "We'll do fine".  And we did.  Within a year he was back at work, walking everywhere, using his computer to file monthly reports and worrying about our cost of goods percentage for the business, making paratransit trips (not as easy as you might think), etc.  

Of course God gets the credit on that, as He should.  I just loved Ron and sought God's will in caring for him.  And I was there for Ron as he declined.  But it is a serious commitment.  

I slept OK and woke up exhausted.  I had pulled Ron's feather quilt out of his closet and put that on the bed.  I had Cleo on me and Torbie next to my head (my favorite).  And I had such a difficult time getting up.  I finally hauled my butt out of bed.  

But it does confirm, this and other days, that I need to do ALL my daily prep work (making my lunch, shower, setting clothes out) the day before to make things as easy as possible.  I got going though.  I had taken my shower last night so I had time to hit the snooze button a few times.  

It was very cold this morning, for Houston at any rate, so business was slow.  But every time the managers tell us about our sales they always relate better than quota numbers so I don't worry.  I got through the day, got my break, came home.  I was very happy to walk out as I don't go back for almost a week, and I only shared that at the very end as I don't believe in inciting envy in my coworkers.  

I got a soda on the way home.  My contractor had sent me a text he was sick.  Did I mind if he cancelled?  DID I MIND HELL NO.  Keep it AWAY.  Whatever it is.  So I have the rest of the day to myself.  I took a shower just to be careful and get that out of the way.  I have my baggy sweats and my favorite purple t shirt.  I do need to do laundry but not urgently.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: