Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The possum

I screamed like a girl today. 

It started out pretty harmlessly.  I slept late, had to rush through my shower.  I put my glasses on and went into the front room, naked. 

Awww!  A little brown kitten on the floor!  How did it get in?  I took a closer look as it turned around, and I screamed as I realized I had a full blown possum in my front room. 

That's right, that thing under my bed the other night?  A POSSUM.  Words cannot describe my reaction to that. 

It reminds me of Old Days with Bubba, and he would bring home live rats.  Yuck. 

It was kind of cute, until it turned around.  It had very pretty fur, but it's vermin in my house. 

We still had to go to work.  So we did.  We spent all our time stocking (which is good) and came home again. 

And the cats?  Totally chill.  Completely indifferent.  If I brought another cat into the house, it would be mayhem.  A dog?  Even worse.  A possum?  Let's all act like nothing's wrong, except for sniffing things a little more than usual. 

I tried to take a nap.  That didn't work very well.  Ron and I went out to eat.  While out, he managed to arrange for someone to bring us a trap.  He brought it, we paid for it. 

It was huge.  It is a cat/raccoon trap.  The possum isn't that big.  I found some peanut butter breakfast biscuits, where I found the possum this morning.  It had licked off all the peanut butter.  So I put a big dab of peanut butter on the plate, along with a can of cat food my cats don't like. 

I worked on the computer for a little while and I heard the trap activate.  I went and looked, and saw a very fat, embarrassed-looking Biscuit in the trap.  I got him out.  A couple minutes later, I caught Baby Girl headed into the trap.  I managed to chase her off by squirting her with water.  Torbie's the only one with any brains around here. 

Ron is lying in bed.  I did warn him, since the possum got food out of his room, he had better be careful reaching into places.  He just shrugged me off.  So I will probably hear his bloodcurdling scream in the middle of the night. 

Although, as near as I can tell, the possum has been living with us for a couple of days so far, with no problem.  The cats don't mind.  If possums made good pets I might keep it.  But it's a wild animal and I'm not going to do that.  It needs to go back outside and live there.  While it has a good indoor life, food, water, air conditioning, protection from predators, it's not meant for indoors. 

I'll keep you posted. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Ron going to the doc about his edema?

Spankadoo said...

Omg the teeth on an opossum are the most frightening part they have! I See them a lot here one time got close up and they are covered with fleas! They are kind of cute until they open their mouths . Good luck! Never a dull moment huh?

Anonymous said...

You handled that way better than I would - I would still be in therapy somewhere if I found a possum in my house.