Thursday, May 10, 2018

So, I got my new modem

I didn't sleep well last night.  I woke up tired and unmotivated. 

I took a shower - I might be battling a low grade depression.  Ron and I went to Denny's.  It's a couple of days before Mother's day and the place was full of Spanish speaking women, their babies, and toddlers.  There was a pretty good wait for food and some of the babies were crying with hunger.  I explained to Ron. 

"Why don't the mothers bring comfort food for them?"  I couldn't answer that.  I would at least have a jar of something, or a baggie of Cheerios.  That might not be a bad idea for Ron, actually.  Bring some food in the backpack if he gets hungry somewhere. 

Other than the crying babies, and the incessant sound of Spanish being spoken, it was a pretty good trip.  I had pancakes and ham, Ron had chicken strips. 

We had a good ride home.  The driver's daughter had actually brought us there, and liked us.  Good to know that.  I would love to see the daughter on one of our regular routes, she was a really good driver and had a good attitude. 

I had some digestive troubles when we got home, after Ron had gone to sleep.  I had to stay up and deal with that.  Then I couldn't take a nap.  I just couldn't drop off. 

Frustrating.  I got a little sleep but not much.  I couldn't find Torbie. 

I got up around 2.  The internet guy was coming around 3.  I cleaned up a little and waited.  I found Torbie in the garage, I had locked her in there.  She was fine. 

He showed up right on time. 

He was completely freaked out by Baby Girl.  Ron told me some cultures are afraid of cats.  That's the first I've seen it.  He took the old modem and went out to the van.  And he stayed there. 

"He doesn't want to come back" I thought.  He doesn't like the cats - can't blame him, I wouldn't want to go in a house full of barking dogs.  He finally came back and we did the modem installation.  Of course there were glitches, which is why I paid for a guy to come out as opposed to doing it on my own. 

He was a nice young man.  Could have been my son. 

He finally left, but not before Torbie ran in front of him and got trapped between him and the door.  She raced around him and bolted down the hall.  He jumped. 

Next time, I am locking up the cats.  Better some scratching at the door than freaked out service guys. 

He left and I enjoyed my new internet.  It is faster but I honestly didn't need it to be faster.  I was OK with it, but the ISP kept saying they were upgrading, and my old modem wouldn't work anymore.  Well, the new modem works, that's all that matters. 

I even found my magnifier.  It is apparently time for new glasses, I am having a little trouble with very fine print.  I can read receipts, my prescription bottle, stuff like that.  Smaller than that, not so good. 

Ron called the courier to come pick up the papers tomorrow, for our audit.  We finally finished all that.  I even included bank statements proving we paid our sales tax.  That should keep the boss busy for a while. 

Ron got a call saying the bill changer is giving nickels now, that's not good.  We will have to investigate that tomorrow.  And stock. 

Monday I had to clear out a coin jam caused by the fact someone put grape bubble gum all over a couple of quarters, then stuck then in a soda machine.  Caused a horrific coin jam.  I had to take the unit apart and clean it. 

Don't put a bent, sticky, or otherwise dirty coin in a vending machine.  Don't drill a hole in a quarter, trying to "fool" it into thinking it got money, and then try to take it out.  The mechanisms are wise to that, and have razor blades to cut the wire. 

Years ago, I found a coin with a drilled hole and some fishing line, in a vending machine.  It had caused a coin jam.  I removed it and stuck it in my pocket. 

A couple of hours later, a guy comes up complaining he lost a quarter in the vending machine.  "This one?" I said as I held it up by the string.  Trying to rip us off?  And not even ashamed of it.  Yes, he said, reaching for it. 

I put it back in my pocket and took out a regular quarter, and gave that to him.  "But I want MY quarter" he cried.  So he could try and rip off other vendors, if not us. 

"You lost a quarter," I told him.  "I gave you a quarter back."  I then explained about the razor blade in the coin mechs and how the "old' trick wouldn't work anymore.  He left, sulking, but he never tried it again. 

I have to go to bed early tonight.  I don't know what I will do for a snack before bed but I will do something.  I took EVERYTHING (pills) at Denny's so that's done. 

I still need to clean the cat boxes, and check the mail in about an hour.  Ron wants me to (use his money he gave me for my internet account) buy him some headphones.  So I guess I'll do that, then a snack, then the litterbox, then the mail and then bed. 

Our favorite deliveryman was fired.  I am really upset about that.  He was great.  God only knows what we'll get tomorrow. 

No comments: