Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Bible Handout

Yesterday I got my delivery of Bibles. Today I went out and gave them away! Well, one case at least.
Ron came with me, he wasn't feeling very well (his back, and neuropathy), but he seems to be my lucky charm so he came. I told him once, God will come back "faster" if he hands out a lot of Bibles.
We went to our usual spot. Today, it was police everywhere. If I had a dollar for every time I saw the police I could have paid for our cab ride home. They didn't bother me. Like I've said, I don't think the police worry about Bible distribution in the bad neighborhoods. I certainly felt safe. No one would have had a free second to do anything.
It was slower today, took a little over an hour, but we handed out 32 whole Bibles, some Spanish, and 4 Bible Promise books to the "I already have a Bible" crowd.
One memorable transfer happened when a young man saw me right as the light changed. He reached out his hand to me, and nodded as I held the Bibles out, he cruised by as I ran to keep up and gave him 2.
It started raining about halfway through but it was only a light drizzle and the Bibles were fine. We kept going.
I had a couple of women with a friend/relative in the car who asked for one, but were very happy when I gave them 2, one for everyone. I hate to see someone go without a Bible.
I could have brought more Spanish, and I will, next time. I had a couple of people who kept looking at us, interested. One of them, when I "caught" her, covered her face. So she didn't want one, yet. But the other ones I walked over and served them.
I didn't have anyone lecturing me this time, but I did have a few people driving by, smiling, nodding, giving us little salutes. It is nice to feel welcome in a neighborhood, even if it's a bad one.
I gave one man a Bible and he called me back after a minute or two. I went back and he gave me a bottle of water! I took it! I get thirsty running up and down.
My last recipient for the day was a young man picking his son up from school (he had the temporary badge). I gave him a Bible and wished I had a kid's Bible to give him.
So, next time. More Bible Promise books - they were very well received and I have plenty of them here at home. More Spanish - I always need that. And a couple kid Bibles.
Afterward we went and got chicken at the chicken place. Well, I got a hamburger. It was very good.
Please pray for the recipients! Thank you.

No comments: