Thursday, May 24, 2018

Scattered Shower

I didn't sleep well.  I was happy, though, when I kicked my foot out, only to end up in fur.  Torbie had joined me in the bed for a cuddle, not by my head, but by my feet.  She got up before I woke up but she was there. 

Oh, we're going to miss her when she goes.  Baby Girl will be happy she doesn't have to compete, but we will truly miss her.  She is older so I don't know how long we have, and I'm OK with that.  It would be awful to know I only had 3 months, I would rather just enjoy the time without knowing. 

I got up and had my little drama with Ron, then we went to the warehouse.  We got our supplies, I forgot some important items due to stress and sleep deprivation, but we will manage. 

Chuck came (Jack is out of town), and one of "my guys" loaded the truck for us.  It began pouring on the way to work, Houston is the home of the scattered shower.  [Bad word]  the merchandise got soaked.  So did I.  I got the carts out of the stockroom and loaded them up.  Ron helped as much as he could, which wasn't much. 

That's OK.  I didn't marry Mr Beefcake, I married a blind guy in a wheelchair.  I had a pretty good idea what I was signing up for, physically.  I will say that.  The rest of it, I was clueless, but I expected he would be physically limited, and deteriorate as time went by, and I was right. 

So we got everything in the building.  We started stocking.  I wanted to sit at a table, worry, and eat snack foods until the boss showed up, but I didn't think that exhibited a good work ethic.  So I went to work stocking. 

I also helped Ron, as always.  Ron was in the stockroom when the boss showed up.  He sat us down and took out a huge sheaf of forms. 

Now, all we knew is he wanted to see us right away, about our audit.  Sure enough, it was about the audit.  Basically, what it came down to, we need to submit certain forms when we get audited, we need to fill out certain forms every month regardless of whether we are being audited, and we need to submit more documentation.  Oh, and we will face another audit in 6 months since we "failed" this one. 

So, it was OK.  I need to get a new printer, though.  This one doesn't work very well.  I will need the ability to print things off the 'net and file them every month.  Ideally, I will install some sort of "office" program on this computer so Ron can "give" me the spreadsheets he does every month. 

[side note, Ron decided a while back, due to temptation, he would rather not be online himself, just have me do things for him.  I heartily approve.]  So I need to do all this in the next month or so.  Ron will buy me the printer, I just hope I can get it to work with my browser.  The current one just prints blank pages.  And I have ink. 

So, a lot of things to do, but we are OK, and so is the business.  He gave us all our papers back (!) and a big sheaf of blank forms to fill out every month (just go to a copy shop when you run low, he said). Then he left. 

We went back to stocking and did that until we were happy.  Ron was thinking we would come in on Monday, but I reminded him it's a holiday.  Oh, yeah.  He checked, our sandwich delivery (normally Mondays) will be coming in on Tuesday instead.  So we get an extra-long weekend.  Nice.  Especially nice after all the drama. 

Ron called and took our ride off of hold, he had suspended it when the boss came.  They said they could send someone to pick us up in an hour and a half.  Ron didn't want to wait that long.  So he cancelled the paratransit pickup and called a regular cab to come get us. 

It is always surprising to me when we get a cab to our location.  It's such a horrible neighborhood the bus driver who took me there, weeks ago, actually asked me if I was sure I wanted to get off at that stop!  But he came pretty quick and took us home. 

Ron had made a trip to Denny's for later, but I had a little time for a nap.  I laid down, and by the time I fell asleep I had to get up.  But Torbie laid by my head (my favorite!).  She's a good cat.  She really has a lot of personality.  Most older cats do.  They aren't real frisky but they have personalities and preferences.  And they almost all will sleep by my head when they get really old.  Which I love.  I don't really care if a cat gets in my lap, or even wants a lot of petting.  But I love it when they sleep with me, really love it when they sleep by my head.  Wonderful. 

I bade her a reluctant goodbye and got up, bagging up candy for the servers at the restaurant.  Our ride was a little late but not too bad, for a change. 

We got there in a timely manner.  The other passenger kept making a big point of looking at her watch.  Shared ride service, lady. Shared ride. 

We got to the store and the servers swarmed me for candy, leaving me with one bag for my ride home.  I got my food, Ron got a variation of what he ordered.  Our server couldn't figure out how to ring a grilled cheese with ham in it, so they gave him a grilled cheese with a side of ham (they comped him the ham).  He ripped open the sandwich and shoved the ham into it, eating it that way.  So, he got what he wanted.  I ate my food, it was good.  We had enough time to eat, and pay, without being rushed. 

Our driver to go home was very nice.  I showed her a photo of Biscuit when she was at a red light and she said he was "very cute".  He is.  We got home and I got Ron in the house.  He laid down. 

He hasn't been complaining as much about his back, lately.  Maybe because I have been "babying" him at work and doing all the heavy (over 20 pounds) lifting.  Maybe it's just doing better.  But he hasn't been moaning about it.  I'm sure it still bothers him but it doesn't seem to be "killing" him.  He gets, like, a grinding pain (my understanding) that is ongoing and regular.  Then he gets agonizing spasms that come and go, and have him reaching for the vodka.  He says the vodka helps with the spasms. 

Laying down seems to help.  He contorts himself into yoga pretzels and seems quite comfortable.  The chiropractor said Ron was unusually flexible and "should work in the circus" so I'm sure that helps.  If we'd had a kid, I wonder if they would have inherited that ability?  That seems kind of cool.  Anyway, he's quiet laying down in his bed. 

I checked the mail, nothing important (as far as Ron is concerned mail is only good for bringing him talking books), so I'm done for the day.  I will watch some TV and go to bed in a while. 

Hopefully I will get a good night's sleep for a change, with no nightmares. 

No comments: