Tuesday, May 8, 2018

A whole lot of accounting today

Ron and I make good business partners, even though the blind vendor bylaws say I can only be an employee.  Only a blind person can be a blind vendor, and the business doesn't go to me when he dies.  I am, in fact, unemployed. 

If he hadn't been run over, and if he didn't drink, I would have a significant life insurance policy, but he was, and he does, so I can't.  I do have the thing that's supposed to pay off the house so I won't be unemployed. 

Anyway, he is the boss.  I am OK with that, I am fine being lower person on the totem pole.  Send me to work by myself and I will work my ass off without supervision. 

I have never directed accounting operations for a company, I always had a direct supervisor.  I worked for a service tech, he cheated me on my pay but I did the billing and the A/R's.  That's how I knew he was taking out large cash payments for himself before claiming he didn't have enough to pay me.  He's out of business now. 

Then I worked for a nonprofit.  I really enjoyed the work, and the mission.  I did everything, a/p, a/r, payroll, account reconciliations, I even wrote the customer newsletter.  I enjoyed it and my accounting boss really appreciated my work.  I believe he was grooming me to replace him when he retired (he wasn't a puppy).  I did that for years. 

Then I came to Houston and had a series of office jobs, all of them terrible in their own way.  I did enjoy the accounting aspects, except for one job where she was always changing the invoices "Do it the first way, but make the top like the third way".  And she wasn't even the boss. 

That boss, I don't think I've ever told you that story.  One night Ron had extreme testicle pain and could barely walk.  It was a good 9-10 on a 1-10 for him.  I took him to "county" and we were there for I believe 18 hours.  They did ultrasounds of his testicles (strange to watch), drew blood, etc.  They figured he had an infection and sent him home with antibiotics.   [side note, the antibiotics worked]

He called work's voicemail at about 3 AM.  Remember he has been up a whole day and half a night, in extreme pain.  He left a voicemail apologizing, explaining that he was sick and I had to take him to the doctor, and I wouldn't be coming in that day.  Again, he was really sorry. 

So I went in the next day and my boss is all over me.  "He's so sexy-sounding!  Do you have a photo?  He sounds so sexy!  I shouldn't be saying this about your husband but I really want to meet him!" 

When I told Ron he's like "You going to pimp me out to your boss?'  I said no, of course not, but I quit pretty soon after.  I was totally creeped out. 

So, I liked accounting and office work, but I didn't like the office politics and my personal hate: the fashion show.  What are you wearing to work today?  Ugh.  I hated that question.  Remember I was battling horrible depressions at the time. 

Now I wear jeans, work boots, and a t-shirt every day.  Or some variation of the same.  Praise God.   

So Ron got accepted into the program and went away for months.  I rode the bus up to meet him (200 miles each way) every weekend.  The rest of the time I lived alone in my apartment.  It was a nice apartment in a terrible neighborhood.  I had a nice big bedroom, at least 200 square feet, a brick wall in the front room, a nice little kitchen, and a standard bathroom.  I even had a cat.  Well, the neighbor had one, and it used to visit.  Whiskers was a nice brown tabby.  I enjoyed him. 

They taught Ron a lot of accounting (I taught Ron Excel) so he would know how to do the accounting reports and pay his sales tax, etc.  They would test him on it every week, and Ron won an award on graduation. 

Once he got the business (he had to compete, and we wrote a business plan), we put all that to work.  One thing we have to do every month is the monthly report.  It's a basic profit and loss.  How much did we make?  Did we spend too much money on inventory?  Or not enough? 

We did that today. 

But first, my day.  I got up around 8:30.  I got on the computer for a while, took my shower, and did my God Time.  Ron was asleep so I took a nap. 

When I got up he was up so we did the report.  It took a while.  Then we had to file it online and I had to do the online payment.  But we got it all done by the deadline. 

It's always better to do this stuff before the deadline.  We have had computer problems before and ended up filing late.  Not in years, though. 

One problem is that the online filing system only runs on one internet browser, if you try to use another it doesn't work.  So I have to load that browser special. 

Speaking of internet, I am getting a new modem on Thursday.  The old modem is clearly still fine but they are upgrading their speed, and the old modem won't be able to keep up.  So they are swapping it for a new modem. 

They could have mailed it to me, but the last time I did that, with AT&T (not my current provider), they sent the wrong package and tech support was so horrible to me I ended up in tears (and I never cry, these days).  I sure don't want that so we paid the $40 for a tech to come out and do it.  Thank you, Ron. 

We got the accounting done.  Then I ordered a pizza.  I got change from Ron's wallet but only change - I needed to break a $20.  I'm not giving the guy a $15 tip!  Well, I might if I knew he really needed it, and was a good guy. 

I did give him some candy with a scripture booklet.  I got two mediums, a Hawaiian and a Meat Lovers.  Ron had never had Hawaiian.  I couldn't believe it.  He was busy eating leftover cold nachos (yuck) from yesterday but he ate a couple pieces of the Hawaiian.  He really liked it. 

I had them make it without the red peppers.  I don't like peppers much.  I just didn't eat them much, growing up.  According to Ron (and he ate some of her cooking) I grew up on a very plain, bland, diet.  One thing we used to do for fun is boil up a lot of pasta and eat that with a little margarine and salt.  I also ate (cooked myself) a lot of tomato soup, which I can't stand now.  I used to cook it, and fried bologna sandwiches, for myself and my younger stepbrother (my primary abuser, back when he was a decent kid), when our parents were gone.

Plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.  Tomorrow should be interesting.  Ron wants to go to Walmart and buy new clothes, a bigger waist, and t-shirts that don't rub his back when he's dressing.  I am figuring L or XL t-shirts.  He is currently a 36, he's thinking 38 (which sounds about right) or a 40 (they will be falling off like my old pants). 

By the way, Ron got really angry when I told that story to a couple of people,about my pants falling off when I ran across the street.  He accused me of being "stupid" and an "exhibitionist".  The minute I knew I had a problem I went and bought new clothes.  Spent 10% of my gross pay, to do it, too. 

I wonder how much Ron will spend tomorrow, on clothes. 

No comments: