Saturday, May 5, 2018

Pinata mix

I had a hard time sleeping last night, caffeine in the headache pills.  I slept as late as I could, got up, and went to the warehouse. 

I bought all the supplies for work and then cruised the bulk candy aisle for Driver Candy ideas.  I got another Starburst/Skittles mix (which one postal worker "jokingly" "stole" from me at work), and a bag of what can roughly be translated as "pinata mix". 

I think pinatas are terrible, kids brawling for candy, beating the daylights out of a paper mache animal.  It's very aggressive.  The one time they had a pinata when I was a child (I was attending another child's birthday), I got shoved, kicked, and abused.  And I think I only ended up with 1-2 pieces of no-name candy. 

However, the no-name candy is a lot cheaper, has a pretty good mix of hard candy, gum, lollipops, and, if nothing else, can go into the Spanish candy bags I plan to do up (I am waiting on some Scripture booklets).  Once I do up those bags, I plan to add a few pieces of the pinata candy to each of the "English" bags, until I run out.  Then I'll see how they are received.  Some candy I still carry (like Jolly Ranchers) because they are the first candy someone reaches for when I give them the bag.  Others are more staples, like the gum.  Everything else is subject to change depending on what's available, and the weather. 

I got a 5 pound bag of Pinata and the Starburst mix, then paid up (I paid for it separately, of course).  Then I waited, with Ron, on Jack. 

Ron was very droopy today.  He said he had not slept last night due to pain.  At some point recently I blew up at him and told him to go to a pain clinic, already.  He truly believes they cannot help him, that there is not a pain medication available that can touch his pain.  Rather defeatist.  I've tried telling him otherwise. 

Mike, at work, has a bad back.  I am going to have him talk to Ron about pain medication.  [sigh]  Nothing I say is getting through. 

Since I had already done all my stocking on Thursday, I could focus on helping Ron, and boy did I.  I discovered my new pants (which have some spandex in them, although they are not tight), are very comfortable for the work I do, lifting, squatting, reaching, bending over, lifting, pushing Ron, "pulling" carts, etc.  I'm glad I got them.  I will definitely wear them to work again. 

We got it all done and I took him out, my 2 bags of candy hanging on the back of the wheelchair.  As always, I had done up plenty of candy for all my drivers. 

I asked God for a good driver (to go home) and we got one, a very nice African man who speaks fluent French.  And English.  And probably at least one tribal language, too.  He took us home and I got a very short (one hour) nap. 

Torbie joined me.  It was so hard to get up. 

Ron wanted seafood so we went out to the seafood place.  Ron felt so bad he did not order alcohol.  We ate, not much, and I took my pills. 

I ordered a side of their specialty rice, it is a pilaf with vegetables and shrimp.  I am a picky eater and removed my mushrooms, and the onions (large pieces of onions).  I put them in the saucer. 

I finished eating and turned to face Ron, and began talking to him.  A woman at another table kept trying to get my attention, and finally pointed to my left shoulder.  I looked and a grackle was on the table, eating the "unwanted" rice sticking to the offending mushrooms.  It was really funny.  When it saw me it chirped and flew away. 

Funny bird!  I love birds like that - brash ones.  Grackles, Mockingbirds, and Sparrows are some of my favorites.  They're all very bold birds. 

We finished our meal and I took Ron down the ramp.  He complained the bumps in the ramp were aggravating his back.  Sigh.  He didn't want to get out of his wheelchair so he had the driver strap him in the wheelchair for the ride home. 

We got home and I checked the mail, nothing of any note.  I am looking for my Spanish scripture booklets, and Ron is looking for talking books.  We were both disappointed. 

I called my parents but went to voicemail.  About the only thing I need to do is do up my medication.  I have to put everything in my pills-of-the-week organizer.  It's tedious but I have to do it. 

I'd better go get to it now.  The pills aren't going to sort themselves. 

No comments: