Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Half a day off

It was my day off, but I had to get up early.  I hit the snooze some, I had a nice, cuddly, Biscuit in my bed, and went back to sleep. 

I did my God Time before I started this post.  I got up and took my shower, got dressed.  I waited for Ron to wake up.  He never did. 

I heard a honk outside, and looked.  It was our driver.  I went and woke Ron up.  He got up pretty quick.  Happily, the driver waited a few minutes while Ron got dressed and ran out the door.   Well, rolled, in his wheelchair, pushed by me. 

We went to the bank.  We turned $1's into $20's.  Well, we converted $100 packs into five twenties, instead.  I got paid.  It was still pretty quiet so it didn't take long. 

Ron called and said he was ready early, and they sent a supervisor to pick us up.  She shared some of her home drama with us (adult children, and her grandkids, living at home, along with a daughter and elderly mother).  Yike. 

We got to Walmart.  I couldn't find a kiddie cart.  Ron said he wanted to wait up front, anyway.  I made my $420 health insurance deposit.  I hate to have the money on hand, get used to having it, and then make the deposit.  I would rather amputate it at the start. 

I started on my shopping, candy to hand out, female products, etc.  I bought some Powerades (I like the taste better, and the bottle is sturdier) and soda for Ron.  When I was about finished, Ron called me, sounding strained.  His back was in spasm.  Could I hurry? 

I hurried (forgetting a new bed sheet, and the shower curtain) and checked out.  I had a nice cashier, I liked her.  I went to McDonald's, and bought some food for us.  Then Ron called a cab. 

He came pretty quick, I was impressed.  Not many drivers want a Walmart pickup with a wheelchair, to boot.  But he had a nice empty trunk.  He was either Middle Eastern or Indian, I couldn't tell.  He had an accent but spoke very good English. 

Later on, I told Ron "Everyone who immigrates here starts off as a cab driver!"  He laughed. 

The driver did ask me to pick up the wheelchair and put it in the trunk.  I didn't have a problem with that, at all.  After I got into my seat, he explained: he had once picked up a client's wheelchair, and the wheelchair had broken.  The cab company had to pay to have it replaced, and they told him, if the client has an ablebodied companion, have the companion load the wheelchair.  I didn't mind. 

The wheelchair only weighs about 20 pounds, maybe another 5 with the backpack. 

We went home.  He put everything in the garage for us (3 bags).  Ron of course got the wheelchair.  We went in the house.  I had bought some Kale (blech), so I put that in the fridge, along with the other "cold" items. 

Then I took a nap.  I was surprised Ron didn't get out of his wheelchair immediately.  But I think he figured out a new way to sit so he was more comfortable. 

I need to get him a wheelchair cushion.  He keeps saying "Don't bother" but I believe it would help.  He is certainly not "good" sitting in the wheelchair for more than a couple of hours.  But we got (most of) the Walmart done today so we don't have to use up another day. 

I had a pretty good nap.  I got up, did my God Time, watched a little TV.  Then I got online. 

And it's late and I had better go to bed!  Have a good one. 

I'm praying for you every day, regardless of whether I'm typing it out or not. 

No comments: