Thursday, April 11, 2013

I just want to hand out Bibles

Today I handed out about 53 Bibles.  Tomorrow I will hand out about 94. 

How do I know?  I was thinking about that today, some of you might be interested in my selection process, etc.  If not you can scroll. 

Today, for instance, I was very attracted to a corner I hadn't used before.   The handout was such a hit I hope God sends me back.  I just felt very drawn to the spot. 

I generally feel a draw to a certain spot: that's where I do the handout.  Or I go to my default spot, wherever that is - right now in Acres Homes.  God may send me somewhere else next time.  I go where I'm sent. 

In fact, when I visit SW Houston, I notice the nice medians and abundance of traffic.  I need traffic to have a handout. If I don't have cars, I don't have recipients, although I have handed out plenty to pedestrians!  I'd be happy to do a handout in Southwest. 

Someone asked me today "Do you think they are used to you?"  Am I fixture?  Oh, look it's Bible Lady, or whatever they call me.  Possibly.  Today I noticed some gawkers and double-takers, so I guess they hadn't "met" me before. 

I don't need to be recognized.  I just want to hand out Bibles.  I'm a fat lady in a loud orange vest, running around, looking awful I'm sure, but it's not about me.  It's about sharing my faith.  Literally.

How do I know it's time for handout?  Generally I get an "itch".  It gets louder until I do it.  I aim to go when I'm sent, where I'm sent. 

How do I figure out how many Bibles to take, and what kinds?  Right now, for instance, I have whole Bibles in English, whole Bibles in Spanish, English New Testaments, Spanish Gospels of John, and some Children's New Testaments (but not after tomorrow). 

I pray on it, and ask God to guide me.  Sometimes it's easy, whatever I've got, like the Children's and Spanish whole Bibles.  Othertimes I get a "no", like the English whole Bibles.  OK.  I got a "yes" on the English New Testaments, stuffed a box full (around the other Bibles) and got a "NO" on "Do I need to make up an additional box of Bibles?" 

So, I do it and put it by the door, and pray I don't forget my sign again! 

God keeps me humble.   

No comments: