Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Peaceful

"Why is it" I told Ron bitterly "We always have horrific terrror attacks during our vacation?" 

Mom and Dad got to town on Saturday.  We went to church on Sunday, I did a small Bible Handout, and then we went to lunch.  They dropped us off at home and I went to bed. 

I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked, but found out I don't have as many problems with "the music" (the music that may or may not be present) if I turn up the volume on my noisemaker.  I got up, took my shower, and made sure my bags were packed. 

We were going to Galveston.  Since Mom and Dad wanted to go to the "nice" restaurant, I brought my little black dress.  Happily it is synthetic and packs well.  I brought sandals, wore my workboots, and took my foam slip on shoes (fake crocs).  I brought a few changes of clothes and a few items for Ron. 

Cell phone chargers, medication, blah, blah. 

Then, off to work.  When I got to work I realized I had forgotten the crackers.  I'd bought them but had my hands full with Ron, 2 backpacks (he wanted his own bag), and a tote bag. 

We had some trials at work on Monday.  One machine was down.  Another one went down as I serviced it.  We got them going again.  I was happy leaving the machines, because they looked OK, especially after I stocked a dozen cases of soda. 

I got the sandwiches, bought some chips from the other vendor, and off we went. 

We got to Galveston in an hour.  In a car.  Car people can travel very quickly.  For Ron and I it's Metrolift to the bus station, and then the bus to Galveston.  Then a cab to the hotel. 

We just went straight to the hotel "Come back" they told us.  We got custard and ate it, watching the water.  The custard did not agree with me, later. 

I fed some seagulls - shocking and out of character, I know.  It's not a trip without seagulls.  I just love the racket they make.  We got a few snacks and drinks for later (I wanted to stay hydrated).  In fact, that's a good idea. 

I'm back.  The weather was lovely, warm and humid, overcast, and breezy.  We could smell the seaweed and the fresh, salty air.  The beaches were pretty clear and the sand was nicely packed. 

The lifegaurds got a kick out of watching me feed the birds.  I'd hold a slice of bread in the air, coaxing the seagulls.  They'd come by and rip chunks off it, but some would grab the whole slice and drop it on the sand, to the delight of the lazy seagulls crowded at my feet.  They'd make a cacaphony as they fought over the precious bread. 

We went back to the hotel, checked in, and Ron took a nap.  I took a nice shower.  It's a cheap hotel, but clean, and near the beach.  They have a fantastic showerhead with tons of settings.  I washed my hair on a massage setting, then went to the mist setting.  I got out. 

"God" I wondered "How do I do my hair?"  The usual ponytail didn't seem right, and I didn't want to leave it down - it was breezy and would look like a nest in 2 minutes.  I knew Mom wanted photos.  I looked at the hair clip in my hand. 

I like to clip up my hair, after I wash and condition it.  It stays out of the way and I can wash my back easily. 

Why not clip up my hair?   OK.  Thanks, Lord.  (We're buds, I ask Him about everything).  I got dressed, but my hair wasn't really dry.  The hotel had provided a hairdryer, bolted to the wall.  I dried my hair for a little bit (I never do this, in fact Ron appropriated my old hair dryer for defrosting the freezer).  I used to make some really "big hair" in the 80's and early 90's, when my hair was short, and I could use a little volume in the front.  I bent over and dried my hair upside down for a couple minutes.  When I stood up I had a huge halo, extending almost a foot around my head.  I laughed, got it tamed (I had some nice front volume, though), and clipped it up.  It behaved very nicely. 

Then I got Ron up, made him put on a buttondown with his twill slacks, and off we went to dinner.  That's when Mom told me about the race bombing. 

Columbine happened on our first long vacation, back in 1999.  Ron and I had each accrued 2 weeks of vacation, and we intended to use them all.  We came to Texas, and spent most of it in Galveston.  Disaster hit, flags went to half mast (like today), and it was a rather odd vacation.  It was the only time we ever got 2 weeks, too. 

We had a lovely dinner.  I had the fried everything plate and gave the oysters to Mom.  Ron had the shrimp brochette.  He liked the finger food aspect, I didn't have to cut up his food for him (remember he only has one functional hand).  Dad had crab cakes and Mom had a seafood and pasta thing.  Mom and I split a dessert. 

Back to our rooms, and bed.  I tend to get up pretty early. 

I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked.  The bed was fine.  The hotel was pretty quiet.  Ron and I specifically aim to go to Galveston on weeknights during school.  It's a lot more peaceful. 

However, my cell phone got evil and sent me an email alert in the middle of the night, even though I had turned it off.  Then the garbage truck came by at 3 AM. 

I got up around 5:20. Ron had been up all night anyway, reading a book.  I got dressed, packed everything, and went to the beach. I had a nice hour to myself.  Seagulls, water, beach. 

Mom and Dad got up, we got some breakfast and went to the fishing pier.  If you live in the Houston area, the one on 61st street.  I was crushed the old one was ruined by Hurricane Ike, and delighted they rebuilt it. 

No, I don't fish, but they have an observation deck for tourists if you buy something.  We did.  Mom got some nice candid shots of the fishing.  I just enjoyed it (that's where I spent my birthday in 2011).  It's really nice. 

Then we came back and got Ron, went to the beach.  Ron stayed in the car with Dad and I fed seagulls nearby.  Dad enjoyed watching from a distance while Mom got shots.  She's very good.  I'll be putting them up when I get them.

Ron really enjoyed hearing them.  I threw slices of bread against the Seawall, under the car window (the road is about 15 feet above the sand, along the top of the Seawall).  Ron could hear the squabbling very clearly.  He was having the time of his life.  So was I. 

Mom and Dad seemed to be having fun, too.  I like that about myself, when I go to Galveston I can eat value meals, stay in a cheap motel, get a loaf of bread, and have the time of my life.  I like to think I am a simple person. 

After that we drove around a little bit and left the Island.  We got some fast food on the way home. 

Pretty soon we're home!  Yay! 

Ron's cat raced to meet him.  I thought they were adorable. 

We put everything up and Mom and Dad left.  I quietly confided my cell phone was being wierd.  Ron asked me to reboot it one more time (I had, a couple times, by then).  If not I can get a new one on our plan. 

Hopefully the same kind. 

Ron went to bed.  When he's home, he's in bed.  He confided he loves to hear me talking to Baby Girl. "I love to hear you two". I thought that was cute.  Of course I talk to the cats.  I don't think anything of it, but Ron told me he loves it. 

I'm glad I can make him happy.  She's pretty cute, and you know how much I love my Bubba (that big, fat, handsome, black cat). 

I got a nap.  Oh, I slept so well.  When I woke up Bubba was next to me, grooming himself.  I always sleep so well with a cat in the bed. 

So I got up, did my God Time (I didn't get it this morning) and turned on my computer. 

Obviously I couldn't announce I was out of town - that's just stupid.  But, I'm home now, and it was a good trip. 

I think my parents found it nice and peaceful. 

No comments: