Friday, April 19, 2013

Dumb Phone

So, Ron and I "stood" in the middle of the phone store.  Ron, in his wheelchair, me in my workboots (of course I was fully dressed).  We "looked" at the phones. 

"What is the most expensive?"  I told him, showed him, and frankly told him it scared the crap out of me.  I went over to the other end "This is the cheapest" I showed him a basic flip phone with a camera.  "I like this". 

Ron objected.  It wasn't as nice as my LG Sentio, I should have something nice.  Was there anything I liked? 

I saw a "texter" type cell phone with a slide out keyboard, and showed it to Ron.  "They've got this"  I looked at the menus "But I'd rather have the basic one". 

Why? 

Well, it's simpler.  These days I need something simple.  Was I sure?  Yes.  OK. 

So we got it.  It will cost him $2 a month. 

I don't think the technician understood the problem with the old phone until she tried to open my contacts (boy, I'm so glad I weeded out some old, embarrasing photos).  It went to weather.  She was clicking her tongue in frustration, sighing, and gritting her teeth.  I tried not to laugh.  That must have been what I've looked like for the last week! 

Eventually, she got my contacts switched.  Actually, while she was TRYING I went across the food court at the mall.  I got takeout and came back. 

So, I'm trying to figure out my dumb phone, which doesn't get online, check the weather, or any of that.  I'm fine with that. 

At the end of the day, I want to make and recieve phone calls, do an occasional text or picture message.  I can do that - when I figure it out. 

God bless the manual. 

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Ha- that sounds like me and my husband, only I'd be Ron and he'd be you (that sounds weird. but I'll explain!). He always goes for the basic, I go for the super-deluxe. I'm always trying to convince him to spend more on himself.
What kind of phone is it? I might be able to help. I've had several cell phones. PM me on Facebook if you like.

Heather Knits said...

It's a Tmobile 665.

It is very basic, but does have a camera and picture messaging.

I like the audio quality a lot better than my old phone. The voices sound a lot better and more expressive. I haven't gotten any feedback if *I* sound better but I'm vain enough to hope I do.