Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The best moment

"I can't imagine anything worse" I told Ron "Than bombing marathon runners at the finish line.  That's the happiest place on Earth."  I sighed. 

I don't consider myself a runner anymore, even though I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) back in 2004. You can see the race photos in the slide show.  One is taken at the halfway point, and then the finish line photo.  I was really happy because I had beaten my goal time by half an hour - half an hour faster than I thought.  I was delighted. 

After a breathless, adrenaline fueled phone call to Ron, I walked around for a while afterward, in a happy glow.  3:02:50 I had done it, and done it better than I hoped.  It was one of the best moments of my life. 

Then someone turned that moment into the worst moment of their lives.  That's abominable.  It's like bombing a daycare. 

I continued, talking to Ron "They are very physical people, they are always pushing themselve to go better and faster." I turned to my parents "Someone like Ron, if he gets a little worse, so what?"  They objected, so I explained "Ron isn't out there running miles a day.  He doesn't need to run, so it doesn't matter if he can". 

[Side note, even before Ron's accident he was not athletic.  He walked a lot to work and home, but that was a means to an end, not something he did for pleasure.  Years before that we had taken nice long walks and a hike or two, but not in a long while.  Neither of us was accustomed to it at the time of his accident - so we didn't really lose it.  Ron walking became Ron in the wheelchair but it wasn't a horrible transition.]

Now imagine someone - the best time of their life is the time spent out there running.  Maybe they run on a nature trail.  Maybe some of them run through their cities.  Some run along a beach (I see that everytime I go to Galveston), through the woods, or the desert.  It's the high point of their day - that run.  And now, a lot of them don't have it due to their injuries.  That's going to be hell - a very special hell for them.

One a "normal" person can't understand.  They need to run, and it's gone.  Some of them may never run again - I heard some of the injuries are horrific. 

I'm sure we'll have some "blade running" heroes.  Marathon runners are a special kind of tough. 

Of course I am praying for them and their families.  Of course I pray they turn to God.  I am very glad my chuch (Calvary Chapel) will be right there lending aid and comfort to the hurting. 

And, as commanded in the Bible, I'm praying for whoever do this.  I, personally, would like them to rot in hell. 

God says pray for them, though, so I will.  It will probably run along the lines of "Take care of them" until He softens my heart. 

I will be praying for the victims and their families every day. That's a given. 

No comments: