Sunday, April 14, 2013

I'm up for the Challenge

Huh.  Blogger changed the format. 

A minute ago, I was stacking Bibles on my bookcase.  I'd had 60 whole Bibles, 3 cases, but I handed them all out in the last week.   I got some more today and put them in the vacant spot. 

As I stepped back from the bookcase, I had to laugh, because, facing me, three times over, were the words "Are YOU up for the challenge?" 

You see, back in 2005 Thomas Nelson did the Million Bible Challenge.  By 2010, they had sold six million of the Bibles - they are sold pretty much at cost with some evangelism material inside.  I  have handed out hundreds.  I like them.  The recipients like them.  It's a solid translation and even the KJV only crowd can bend a little for a New King James. 

In fact, my personal Bible is a NKJV.  It's a compact size, softcover, in a case I bought separately.  I have the case stuffed with scripture booklets and various tracts.  I think the Bible cost me less than $10. After "The water bottle incident" it was unfit for giveaway but it's fine for personal use. 

Anyway, I laughed, because through God I'm up for the challenge.  In fact, here's what I did today.  Got up early.  I heard the music again last night but Ron figured that out. 

All things considered, I slept OK.  I got up, turned on the dryer, took my shower, cleaned the shower, and did my God Time.  Then I took the clean clothes out of the just-stopped dryer and hung them up, except for my handout orange t-shirt (pictures coming).  It is impossible to miss. 

I paired that with my cargo shorts and wore that to church, because I handout planned after.  Mom and Dad came over, they're in town.  It was great to see them. 

We went to church.  Nice not to have to hassle with Metrolift!  I had all my handout material in the trunk. 

After church, my handout spot was empty so I did it while Mom and Dad watched, narrating for Mom.  Mom got a kick out of the one driver - she wouldn't touch the Bible but her passenger wanted one. So, the driver made me put it in through the sunroof.  I did. 

I handed out a lot of Spanish, too.  That is a great corner for Spanish.  I could probably bring a whole case of Spanish for distribution.  I had singles, couples, and whole families wanting Spanish, and I was happy to provide. 

I had plenty of English, too.  Mom says I gave two to some men driving a church van!  She found that pretty funny. 

Then we went to lunch.  I was so thrilled to see my favorite waitress at the taqueria.  Mom and Dad loved their food and we gobbled ours, too.  I made sure they got the "double" so they'd have leftovers. 

Mom and Dad came back to the house, she got some really cute photos of Baby Girl.  Bubba is not a fan of the papparazi.  He never allows her to take his photo. 

But, she got plenty of Baby Girl.  She told me she had 40 of Ron feeding Baby Girl treats. 

They left and I tried to take a nap, but the kids next door decided to play with the soccer ball.  They kicked it into the side of our house a few times and Ron got upset.  About that time the father came out and started yelling in Spanish, so I don't think he was too happy either.  They stopped. 

Now, I'm not a parent but my aunt had 4 boys, and she says "little boys have a lot of energy" so I guess it's normal.  I try to be tolerant because, in many other ways, they are very good neighbors.  Most importantly to me, they tolerate the cats. 

I saw a really scary "neighbor" on one of those house-flipping shows, and I turned it off thanking God he lived thousands of miles away! 

Speaking of neighbors, someone is moving into the house behind us.  They are renting.  It was posted for about $1,200 a month, for a 4 bedroom.  That's about equivalent to an apartment, in this zip code (a 3 bedroom apartment/townhome runs about a thousand a month).

I know we couldn't rent a 3 bedroom anything in a decent area for $750 a month (about what we pay with taxes and insurance).  As it is, the mortgage is about $450.  Very reasonable. 

During church, the pastor was talking: we praise God a lot after He delivers us, but we never thank him for the deliverance to come.   We act like He's forgotten us and will let us down (my take). 

Good point.  So, instead of worrying about the new neighbors, I will try to focus on thanking God for them ahead of time. 

Worst case, Ron has the address if he needs to call in a noise complaint.  Speaking of, last night he figured out the source of the very low bass notes we hear all night, every night. 

He went for a little walk, with his cane. It wore him out.  It is very loud where our street intersects the main street, but as the goes either direction on the main street it dims.  Across the bayou, in the industrial park, they have a new building.  Whatever they are doing in that business they are playing some really LOUD music every night.  They must have a night shift; but it explains why it is so loud every night, all night. 

It makes me wonder about the amplifier.  It must be huge.  We plan to find out the address and then we can either go by and politely tell them "You are keeping up your neighbors" with Ron looking blind and pathetic in the wheelchair (his word, pathetic); or just call in a noise complaint. 

The police must get really tired of us. 

They will have a party the day we get raptured!   "The pests are gone!" 

I am really happy God let my mania prolong, long enough that I could do 3 handouts and show Mom and Dad - they loved watching me work.  I feel like the Handouts are my job.  Working for Ron pays the bills. 

I got more Bibles, and have been told more are coming.  I really need some Children's, and Spanish.  I don't feel led to get the Spanish Children's because they need to learn to read English anyway. 

So, Bible Boxes, yes, I am up for the challenge.  God's strength is made perfect in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9), so that means He can do a lot! 

I am convinced I could not do this if I were "normal".  I think it takes a special kind of crazy, broken, person to do a Bible Handout. 



No comments: