Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pretty Girl

Cat lovers will laugh with me.  I left the house with certain expecations.  I'd find a nice kitten, adopt it, and bring it home Monday after I got it fixed.  I wouldn't adopt an older cat because they've broken my heart, twice. 

I left the house with Ron in the wheelchair, various snacks, and drinks.  I am such a vending geek I wondered if the shelter had a vending machine.  It has a contract with Dr Pepper. 

We rolled in, it was chaos.  When we told them we wanted a cat we were directed to another area.  I only saw 2 other people who got cats today, but I think the dog kennels are nearly empty (sadly, I saw at least a dozen dogs "surrendered"). 

They had the cats in a trailer.  We went up the ramp and met a cheerful volunteer. 

The last time I went to BARC (board of animal control), it was awful.  Frosty had gone missing for a while back in 2005.  I was directed into a 200 square foot room crammed with cat cages, surrounded by miserable, begging, meows.  It was awful. 

Cats are smart, they know what to do to get a home. 

I entered a large and bright main room.  I was told they had 3 "free range" rooms for loose cats, or I could view a caged cat in the main room.  I felt like I should enter a room to the right, and I did. 

I found myself in a room with several adult cats.  I parked Ron and sat down, figuring my cat would come to me.  Boy, did she.  She got right in my lap and didn't budge for an hour.  She is a beautiful orange/brown tabby, shorthair, adult, and rather chubby.  She hissed at other cats. 

Ron fed treats to all the cats, and petted "my" cat.  It was clear, after about half an hour, I didn't need to go into any other rooms or look into any cages.  My cat had chosen me. 

I had wanted a big, sweet, lump.  Bubba was a wonderful cat but he was not affectionate.  This one was very cuddly.  I think she knew I'm hurting. 

I still miss Bubba, terribly, I didn't expect that to change, but I knew Bubba would want me to open my heart to another cat. 

Remember what I said about older cats?  She is 6.  Definitely middle-aged. 

Ron made friends with Oscar, a longhaired black and white male.  I was delighted to hear every animal in the room was fixed, and ready to go today. 

No return trip!   I wouldn't have to watch a spayed animal suffering in pain!  Awesome. 

I decided to take her.  The volunteers kept watching me - I think they were rooting for the cat.  Since she is older people can be stupid about that.  Everyone wants a young animal, or a baby. 

In the meantime, Oscar had dragged of my bag of treats and chewed it open, eating half the contents.  Ron rescued it.  I did warn a volunteer Oscar might get sick, and they just laughed.  Oscar was also adopted today. 

I was given a claim form for Pretty Kitty (her name).  I found out then she was 6, and surrendered for "allergies".  [sarcastic]  Yeah, allergies.  Probably a new boyfriend who didn't like cats.  I guess they never heard of Claratin. 

I put her down on the floor, and she tried to get back in my lap, looking desperate.  She looked so sad when I left.  She thought I was gone for good. 

A lot of beaurocracy.  A lot.  We finally got through it all and I got my cat.  I wanted a black male kitten, and walked out with a brown female senior.  Ron and I decided to name her Pretty Girl. 

We got into Metrolift and came home.  She meowed, but not loudly.  She was very affectionate with me as soon as I got her out of the carrier, but Baby Girl "caught" Ron giving Pretty Girl treats.  She objected.   Baby Girl is very possesive of Ron, and her treats. 

After we got the kids separated, they went off and sulked.  I am keeping Pretty Girl in my room, letting her out now and then.  Ron is currently holed up with Baby Girl in his room. 

We are doing various techniques.  I put some delicious food and treats into the Pretty Girl's carrier, so Baby Girl has to experience her scent in order to get treats.  I plan to wipe Baby Girl down with a dry washcloth, and put it by Pretty Girl's food.  I have some other ideas. 

I just pray they get along. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad she found you! It might take a few weeks for the cats to start to like each other. I've introduced cats many times.