Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Ark

I like watching disaster movies: no matter what's going on in my head, or my life, they always have it a lot worse on my low-definition 24 inch TV screen.  [on a side note, when we have had burglaries in the area they have never bothered with the contents of my home]  Comet is heading for the earth, volcano, the core stopped spinning (actually some very good movies on that theme), and today's feature, the sun having coronal mass ejections towards the Earth, and impacting. 

Nasty stuff, all of it.  In at least a couple of movies, the writers covered the theme of "An Ark" - some kind of massive underground bunker designed to shelter "The Best" and save civilization.  In the comet movie, they had a lotto for average citizens, plus a list of the invited experts.  In this movie, they just had the invited experts. 

And, if they were very lucky, their families.  As I sat there thinking about the whole concept, I realized that no ark would ever want me and Ron.  Ron's got all the disabilties and the drinking problem, and hell, I'm nuts. 

Today, I battled major fatigue issues and had to come home and take a nap after going to the grocery store and putting up the perishable groceries.  And I only spent $20! 

I'd like to think I knew a little, about a lot of things.  I know some very rudimentary electronics, irrigation, soil science, gardening.  home preservation, nutrition, cooking, soapmaking (not the melt and pour stuff, actually creating a chemical reaction out of lye and fats), candle making, knitting, crochet, spinning my own yarn, and vending.  Like I said, I know a little, about a lot of things.  I like to grow my brain. 

I just ate a few fresh green beans out of my garden.  The yellow and green ones always ripen before the purple ones.  They were delicious.  I need to remember that beans are itchy, though.  I knew I had to pick the beans before watering, so I didn't spread any bean fungus diseases.  I knew I needed to plant my zinnias when it gets darker, so the poor things have a chance to settle in before roasting in the sun. 

But according to those standards, I am certain they would say my life has no value; due to the brain damage and mental illness.  Which is fine.  I don't think I'd do well in that kind of environment anyway, and I KNOW Ron wouldn't! 

In the meantime, if disaster strikes I have a good 3 months of medication and a nice little garden.  I even saw a chicken running around outside the subdivision today.  I would LOVE to have some chickens.  I wouldn't do roosters, though.  Too noisy, and they can be aggressive with small children.  That would be horrible for neighbor relations. 

I even saw "Poultry netting" at the Home Depot.  I bet Ron and I could make a great chicken coop.  [sigh] 

Maybe God will let me have a few chickens in Heaven. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've commented before about chickens. I have two and live in Montrose.

You can have chickens now. Do you live in Harris Co? It is legal as long as there's a 100 ft distance (I don't have 100 ft, more like 10 ft, but my neighbors LOVE them.) Here's a link to the ordinance in Harris County -
http://library.municode.com/showDocument.aspx?clientID=10123&docID=0#hit1#COOR_CH6ANFO_ARTIIKEFORAGUPI_S6-31LOREFO

Wabash on Washington sells chickens.

And Backyard chicken website is a wealth of information for casual owners.

I hope you consider; I think you would love having chickens, I know I do!

Amber

Anonymous said...

One more thing - It doesn't require a huge investment. I don't even have a coop! They free range within the fence during the day, and I put them in a large dog kennel at night to protect from possums.

Heidi said...

Oh I just realized someone else commented on the chickens and gave you the backyard chicken site ..do not bother publishing my note1

Yewt Urris said...

Please do avideo blog about funny thjngs that have happened on your metrolift trips

Heather Knits said...

Our HOA won't let us have livestock, although the next subdivision has a few renengades. Hope you enjoy BOTH video blogs about the paratransit.