Sunday, April 24, 2011

Average is a big deal

It took me about a week to figure out; this is an average mood. 

Yesterday was pretty quiet; stayed home, slept in.  Housework and gardening.  Boy, that does sound dull.  I did watch some TV while working.  Really, I had a pretty good day.  It was nice to have more energy than depressed; and not manic.  Average is a big deal. 

I talked to Dad; it's pretty clear he is enjoying "retirement".  Ron told me he stopped taking Neurontin. 

I had an exciting day or so, until he decided it would be better to taper.  He could have had a seizure.  I really did not want all the drama, if avoidable! 

I am picking pick double handfuls of green beans every other day.  Probably a big handful every day.  The rest of my potatoes (about 4 plants, 2 in ground, 2 in a large pot) are looking very healthy; not ready yet.  The onions also look good, probably the next to produce. 

I can't forget the corn.  I wanted to check the ripeness and had a look - it is a beautiful small ear of corn, about 5 inches long.  Lovely looking kernels.  It's not ripe yet. 

Today will not be a LONG day by any means; I have to go to bed around 6.  I will use my pull-out because I am certain our neighbor will play ball with his kids right outside my bedroom window.  From what I can see, he's a great dad.  Just a loud one, playing with the kids! 

Ron and I lived in apartments for many years, two apartments had wife-beaters.    Another apartment you could hear small children screaming and crying as she disciplined them.  Was she over the line?  I don't know.  We both lived on the third floor. 

However, I always thought it was a BAD idea to feed sweetnened iced tea to small children.  They went through a huge canister every week; she would throw her trash outside the door.  She would throw the used diapers on top of the adjoining apartment building.  Ew.  Ew. 

Happily, we don't get that here.  Just "rowdy family time" - they play ball right over by the section of my house that has the degraded siding; I really want to have the handyman put some hardi-plank up there.  The "wood" is about $30, so we can afford to do it.   The handyman is not going to extort us; and a rebound ball won't wreak havoc.   

I also had some fun as Heather the Lizard Wrangler.  Bubba likes to bring home live lizards.  One made it's way into the computer room here, and likes to hang out on the curtain.  I kept trying to catch him, and he'd escape.  Today I finally caught him and put him in a container.  I covered the top with my hand. 

When my hand is in a relaxed and natural position, the pinky fingers stick out at a 45 degree angle, and upward, creating a big gap between ring and pinky finger. It actually makes my hand ache, if I wear a glove, because it is forced into a "natural" position.  I have a photo of my mother, and her hand does the same thing, so it might be genetic.  Anyway, the lizard popped up between my pinky finger and ring finger, taking a suicidal leap 4 feet to the floor.  He then escaped into my closet. 

Boy, that'll be fun.  I have a live thing in with my clothes.  That's almost as bad as the time a mouse got into my underwear drawer.  [shudder]  That's all I'll say on that.  Happily I didn't find it there, just evidence it HAD been there.  Yes, I threw them out.  Lysol in the drawer, etc. 

Ron enjoyed the mild shrieks and the "Get back here!"  "HA!  Gotcha... oh no!"  "You little varmit!", etc.  He was laughing his head off, and calling me the lizard wrangler.

Now I'm debating if I want to be one of those HORRID people who go to the grocery store on a holiday.  It's not far. 

2 comments:

Rib Eye said...

Video blog time!!

Heather Knits said...

I'd already done one, THEN came and checked the comments. Pretty funny.