Friday, April 22, 2011

Better think about it!

I just laughed at myself; so hard I almost wet myself and fell out of my chair.  Why? 

Well, let me tell you about my day, first.  It was pretty quiet; got up, went to work.  PRAISE GOD sales are better, and we actually NEEDED to stock EVERYTHING.  Yee-haw.  Boy, I worked my tail off. 

Happily, Ron had just planned a work-and-home for today, so that's what we did.  We had a bit of a tour going and coming. 

I came home, took my nap.  The garden looks good.  The cat, fat and happy.  *I*, after a lot of hard labor, have spent a good long time rotting my brain in front of the computer. 

When Ron wakes up, I'll try to coax him into a video blog.  I also need to eat and do the dishes and pick up and all that other junk.  Oh, yeah, also take my pills and do my God Time. 

It hasn't rained yet... but I'm still praying for a MODERATE amount.  I would rather not EXERCISE the flood insurance! 

Huh.  It was about 10 years ago that we had Tropical Storm Allison, also known simply as "Allison" in Houston.

"The worst flooding occurred in Houston, where most of Allison's damage occurred: 30,000 became homeless after the storm flooded over 70,000 houses and destroyed 2,744 homes. Downtown Houston was inundated with flooding, causing severe damage to hospitals and businesses. Twenty-three people died in Texas. "  It was BAD. 

Ron and I were at work, getting trained.  We got stuck due to the flooding.  Houston Metro does not run buses through floodwaters!  The NERVE!  We had to walk out - happily Ron COULD walk at the time. 

Although, when we walked any distance he always complained bitterly about his flat feet - hurting. 

Anyway, we had to walk out over 9 miles.  We spent the night on the floor of his parent's house.  When we finally got home the apartment was fine, and we ordered a large meatlover pizza and ate the entire thing without guilt (a feat only matched by my post-half-marathon pizza in January 2004).   I saw huge, dead, turtles on the freeway. 

I saw fish and huge snakes.  I saw all kinds of nature.  Ron's most vivid memory:  We were walking on the elevated part of the freeway, 20 feet up in the air.  The floodwaters touch the bottom of the freeway, so they're about 18 feet deep. 

I remembered how Ron said he hated shopping because "I'm just putting one foot in front of the other". 

Ron used a straight, hollow-fiberglass "long white cane".  It was approximately 5 feet long.  I made him stop walking. 

He stopped.  We went over to the edge, and he made a nervous joke.  The barrier was about 3 feet high.  I had him lean over the barrier and extend the cane downward, a few feet, through the water.  CLUNK, CLUNK. 

"What's that?" 

"Ron, that is the TOP of a big-rig."  He gaped in shock, poking.  "The top of the cab." 

Yeah.  Serious business. 

So, I am very careful when asking God for rain, in Houston. 

Anyway, I have an extra $20 in my account.  I can spend it on pretty much whatever I want.  I was looking at one of my inspirational romance novel sites.  They had an offer, $11 a month.  It is now up to $13. 

Hm.  I am considering it seriously.  That's $2 more than I had planned. 

I've explained how Ron pays the bills and "my" money is pretty much mine to spend as I please.  I can get this, if I want. 

Why did I laugh?  Because this is a lot less than the money I spend on God.  He gets more than $13 a month; a good percentage more. 

If it were a charity, I would  have already entered my debit card.  It would be a dedicated line-item in my budget; I would plan trips to make the deposit, or ensure it was covered when I did my early-month deposit. 

I used to make a lot more money; working for Ron in the early years, and also working for other people.  I make about half now, what I used to.  Back then, I had no problem spending a lot of money on myself. 

I never went into debt, but if I liked it and could afford it, or I was manic for it, I'd get it. 

Now, I will probably debate another 5 minutes or so before I finally sign up for the auto-pay, and then feel vaguely guilty.  That's why I laughed so hard I almost fell off the chair. 

If it had been Bibles?  No question. 

[snort] 

But for me?  Hmmm.... better think about it! 

No comments: