Monday, April 18, 2011

I try not to crow

Well, like I said, I actually got some sleep.  Ron said he didn't hear any barking last night; and I had earplugs. 

Boy, my ear canals feel a little weird. 

I'm not sure what to think; but no barking last night or all day today.  Not only that, when we got home from work the gate was wide open to the backyard.  Ron thinks they have the dog in the garage.  I HOPE they gave her to the humane society.  We'll see. 

If nothing else, I think it's a promising sign they're also sick of the barking.  Only one person claimed it as "my" dog, and I'm almost certain she works nights.  Yesterday, when they let the dog out, it barked incessantly.  While she would have been trying to sleep. 

Not to mention, I mailed the letter to the landlord.  When we got home I checked their front yard and sure enough, they have an old truck tire, a pile of boards, assorted loose trash, and the pile of junk just in the front yard.  If/when the landlord comes by that ought to be plenty provoking.  If she does come by to check out my side of the fence, it's obvious I have had to do extensive work to keep the dog out of my yard. 

So, I got up around 3:30, I'd gone to bed early.  I had a nasty headache that got progressively worse as the day wore on.  I was functional for work, so happy. 

Work was a little busier than usual.  We had to mail our sales tax today. 

The other vendor asked why we still mailed it, didn't we have to pay online?  No, I said.  He told me, if we owed over $1,000 we had to e-file. 

I told him we owed far less than that, for a QUARTER.  He got very quiet for a while, then came by and talked to Ron about improving our income.  There's something we could do if we needed; but I think Ron feels he isn't going to worry about that unless he can't make the bills. 

Right now, we can.  If things keep up, definitely.  Our "value line" has been a real liferaft.  I try not to crow about it, but selling the 50 cent juice boxes, instead of the $1 cans of bottled juice, really help sales.  Everytime we stock, Ron has to put them out.  The $1 bottled sodas, same thing.  My crackers and all are far more modest, but still respectable.  I've never had to worry about one of those items "going out of code".  So, I try not to be one of those horrible "Boy, I saved the day, didn't I?" people. 

Don't always manage, though.  [crowing]  Huh, it's God who put it in my head anyway, so He gets the credit. 

It's been interesting at work.  We have, basically, 3 groups of people.  We have the Maintanence crew, the Clerks, and the Mail Handlers.  Maintanence does just that - maintains, custodial, etc.  They seem pretty well protected. 

The Mail Handlers are the ones who move the mail into, and out of, the building.  Generally they drive something called a "Tow Motor" - it looks like a forklift without forks, and it pulls rolling carts like a locomotive.  I am always alert, out on the floor.  Years ago one of the carts came off as a guy turned a corner and it crushed an employee.  He lived, but he lost his spleen.  They are the quietest group, politically. 

The Clerks are the most numerous, I believe.  They have the most dramatic elections, lots of slandering of each other's mothers and such.  They are up for a contract, and the Yes and NO  factions are very, very, verbal.  Lots of flyers everywhere "Vote NO!"  "Vote Yes!"  The No crowd seems to believe that the middle-class postal worker lifestyle is at an end, a lot of Walmart analogies.   "Thowing light and limited duty employees under the bus" things like that.  Yike.  The Yes crowd talks about the COLA, and the health plan. 

I got up, did my God Time, talked to Ron.  If nothing else, at bare minimum I can now use my earplugs.

Years ago, Ron made a very noisy "Water fountain" from a 12 volt bilge pump, a power supply, a 33 gallon plastic trash can, and about 10 gallons of water.  Boy, that rascal was LOUD.  It made very loud whoosy thump noises.  I am sure Ron could help me rig up another.  Since we don't share any walls, I wouldn't worry about disturbing neighbors. 

So peaceful right now, just the sound of birds.  [happy sigh]  This is why we bought a house. 

[scoff]  Later on, I have to do a blog of the apartments we've lived.  I might even drag Ron into it, do a video blog.  It would be pretty funny. 

So, we went to work.  Mailed the taxes, letter to the landlord next door, and the water bill.  We pay about $30 a month for water and trash.  Probably a lot less, when we fix that leaky faucet. 

The snack machines didn't need work, the sodas only needed about 2 cases.  I stocked them, got the sandwich delivery, and stocked it.  I did a lot of helping Ron; getting him drinks, putting things into the fridge, taking things out and putting them on his cart, etc.  We really do complement each other. 

Finally, all done.  About the only thing I didn't do - take out the cardboard trash. 

We went to the bank.  Unfortunately, the driver had a very intensely fragrant air freshener in the cab.  Ever had a nasty headache and a strong, fake-smell makes it worse?  Exactly.  We had him twice, when he dropped us at the bank and then when he took us home, after.  Ron wanted to put a little in to cover the sales tax. 

We got home, I saw the gate was open.  Watered my plants.  We went to the Taqueria.  It's not far from the house, very good, very affordable food.  I tell Ron, I can't see how they make their food cost, and secretly wonder if it is a front for a drug cartel to launder money.  Who knows?  It is delicous, wholesome, food.  Ron had a burrito, I had a quesadilla, two drinks and about $10. 

We had a good ride home, too.  I took a nap - and COULD.  I feel better now, just very tired so it was a migraine.  It was so bad I had to take a phenergan.  It makes me groggy and raises my lithium level, but a lot better than getting violently sick. 

I did not take my noon lithium; because I had taken 3 doses of drugs that raise my lithium level.  OOOH.  I'd have been TOXIC.  Ugh.  Gotta be smart. 

I'm an engineer's daughter, I like getting under the hood and tinkering, and think I do a pretty good job with God's help.  Well, God does most of it! 

I got an email from Dad - he got laid off.  It doesn't sound like they were very respectful to him. 

I can take it pretty well when people get ugly with me; talk about me, stuff like that.  A lot of times I just laugh at them; like when someone calls me "crazy".  [snort]  That's like calling Ron blind. 

I do take it very personally when I feel someone has hurt one of my loved ones.  My heart just broke as I read Dad's email.  He was so kind about his former employer.  [sigh]  I hurt, because I know on some level he hurts. 

So, I've gotta pray on that.  This is a sick twisted world, and Bad Things want to get me anyway they can. 

Ron noticed I am trying to pick up more around the house, and I told him I understand it is his love language, I'm going to do all I can.  He was touched. 

That's it for now.  Hopefully the dog problem has been solved.  I pray it has.  I just want to sleep at night. 

1 comment:

Brayopotomus said...

Oh we need a Heather + Ron video! Pretty please! [bray]