Friday, August 25, 2017

Third floor

I slept better last night, in no small part because Torbie! came and slept with me, right next to my head, in my favorite spot.  I woke up and did my shower, then did some preparations.  I rolled up the exterior blinds and checked the back yard for debris.  I decided to put the smoker down on it's side so it wouldn't turn into flying debris. 

I remember I had a big banana plant in a pot.  I didn't move it in the house during Rita, and it went flying across the yard.  And we didn't even get the full brunt of it. 

I came in the house and filled up a couple of clean, 5 gallon buckets, with a lid.  I stacked them one on top of the other and left them in the tub.  I have enough room to shower around them. 

I did some picking up, putting things on shelves, etc. 

Pretty soon our pickup time arrived.  Time to go out for breakfast.  We went to our favorite taqueria.  I was curious to see if I could make paleo work with them. 

The answer was, sort of.  I got a scrambled egg mixture with ham in it.  That was legal.  Beans, not really on plan but OK in small amounts.  I had a few bites, they were very good.  I was satisfied after a few bites so I stopped.  I didn't touch the fries.  Totally off plan. 

So, I can eat there for breakfast on occasion.  It was reasonably priced, too.  I put up a photo for you  after I ate about half of it. 

We came home.  I took a nap, sort of.  I had a hard time falling asleep, then some jerk woke me up playing loud music.  "I hope you flood" I thought vengefully, then apologized to God. 

I forgot to mention I am officially down 10 pounds on paleo.  I am losing, on average, about a pound and a half a week.  Not as dramatic as low carb but definitely more sustainable. 

I slept as long as I could, then got up around 2.  I did more organizing.  I watched TV.  My parents called, I reassured them I am as prepared as I can be.  And I am. 

I cleaned the litter boxes, all 4 of them.  I left Ron to clean his own litter box.  He is terrible about that. 

Worst case, if we flood bad the cats can float in them like this cat: https://youtu.be/wrz735xKhss

I really hope it doesn't get that bad.  I am worried because they're saying it isn't getting any better, but it looks like Corpus Christi will get the worst of it.  That's bad for them. 

I don't know anyone there, so I'm not personally affected.  I will be praying for them. 

I'm not worried about tropical force winds.  I have had those before 2 times.  We have a good roof that has served us very well.  When it's time to replace it, I will definitely use the same company.  We might lose the fence but that is easily replaced, and the neighbors will help pay for it.  We just had the tree and bushes trimmed so I'm not worried about them, either. 

I'm worried about flooding.  I have said this before: last year, when we had the Tax Day Floods, we got about a foot of rain in one night, and almost flooded.  I am worried we will get more rain than that, and flood. 

Houston, and my part of down, have impressive drainage systems, but they can only take so much.  I so wish I lived in a third floor apartment right about now.  I never worried about flooding when I lived on the third floor. 

1 comment:

Delivered said...

I will be praying for your family and please keep us posted if you can. Love you girl!