Sunday, August 6, 2017

Black fruit salad

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, and my right eye was itching horrifically from (cat)allergies.  I finally put some Vitamin C powder in water and drank it, that helped a lot.  I slept in until about 8 today, pretty late for me. 

Normally, most days at 8 I am stocking a vending machine. 

My hair was disgusting since I hadn't had a shower yesterday, so I took a shower first thing.  I felt a lot better after that.  Then I did my God Time, for the first time in a couple of days. 

Ron woke up, proceeded to get very drunk, and ate Chinese food leftovers, spreading them all over the kitchen.  Then he rolled off to bed. 

I don't know if I'd call it a blackout but he was sure drunk.  It was very depressing. 

I ate some "black fruit salad".  I mixed black grapes, blackberries, and blueberries in a bowl and ate them.  I wasn't very hungry but I am trying to eat more often.  They were good.  I really love black grapes. 

Grapes are a special fruit for me.  During my Dad's single father days, he would take me to the grocery store.  He would sit me in the cart, start at the dairy end, and finish at the produce section.  If I was good, I got one grape from the produce section.  If I didn't behave, I didn't get the grape (I still remember that time, only once).  Sometimes, if he was feeling generous, he'd give me two grapes.  One time he gave me one each of a red, white, and black grape.  I really treasure those times, they were a bright spot in what had been a pretty awful childhood. 

I have concluded I love black grapes the best, they have a full-bodied flavor.  And they're in season here so I am enjoying them whenever I feel like it. 

I still need to polish off the blueberries before they go bad.  I like them, but I don't love them OMG so good passion. 

I still need to figure out dinner.  I have some leftover brisket and I will probably eat that, then I need to figure out what else I'm eating with it.  Probably kale.  And maybe some celery. 

From what I can conclude off the USDA website, I should be eating about a cup and a half of veggies every day.  More is good, but I need to at least do that. 

One serving of kale = 1 cup.  Two celery stalks = 1 cup.  I have some sliced carrots that are getting pretty old, throw some of those in and I'm a cup over my minimum. 

I want to eat better.  I don't just want to eat to whims, or weight loss.  I won't stick with the weight loss diet.  But if I am eating to be healthy, to have good pain control, and maybe lose weight while I'm at it, I should do well.  There are a lot of vegetables I like, I just need to eat them. 

It has to be easy, too.  I don't want to slave over a bunch of raw meat and then get stuck with a ton of dishes. 

So, I took a nap.  I slept pretty well.  A thunderstorm moved in and soaked us pretty good.  I woke up with a moderate headache and used the bathroom, took some aspirin, and went back to bed. 

I have some plastic bags hanging on the back of the wheelchair.  They hold things like an umbrella and my sunglasses.  The sunglasses, not fashionable by any stretch, fit over my bifocals so I don't get blasted with the sun when I'm out. 

Anyway, Ron got up to use the bathroom.  He parks the wheelchair in front of the fan and the fan blows the plastic bags, making annoying humming/rustling sounds.  It is about impossible to sleep when he is in front of the fan like that. 

But he needs to use the bathroom.  He put the toilet paper roll on the holder for me, and went back to bed long after I had decided I needed to get up. 

I got up. 

Now I need to figure out dinner, I want to eat early and give myself time to digest.  I also need to do some meal prep for tomorrow.  We will be going downtown to get Ron a new yearly pass.  He has a permanent "membership" on paratransit, now he just needs the yearly pass.  It will be  hassle but it is only once a year. 

All they have downtown (at the "Ridestore") is junk food.  I don't mind eating the odd protein bar for breakfast, but I'm not putting junk in my body. 

I would probably wake up with a migraine, or a really stiff shoulder, Tuesday. 

Biscuit is stalking me for his dinner.  I think I will eat my vegetables first and then eat the meat portion.  Then take my pills. 

I'm so glad I already did up my pills for two weeks. 

1 comment:

Spankadoo said...

I am so glad you are sharing the ways you get what you need to go with your meds when you change your eating patterns..the struggle is really a huge one for you balancing everything like you do mentally and physically!