Wednesday, September 19, 2007

We didn't work today. Ron told me, I could do anything I wanted so this was it: 1 hour at Walmart, 8:30 -9:30. Go home, go to the yarn shop - 2 hours at the yarn shop, go home. Nothing else. Ron planned all the trips.

The greeters at "My" Walmart are very kind and freindly. They understand the whole concept of waiting forever on Metrolift if it comes to that. I show off my projects, they ooh and ah. When I'm done shopping, they tell me Ron was a good boy and they didn't mind watching him.

So I got to Walmart with my red plastic (18 gallon) tote box. I sat Ron down on his bench and got us breakfast. We used the tote box as a table while I ate with Ron. Then, Ron loaned me his debit card (he wanted some things I couldn't afford), and I was off. I got hit pretty hard by my medication today, so I was glad I didn't have to do intensive shopping. I had a very detailed list which helped tremendously. Dr Pepper hadn't restocked yet, so I didn't get "my" soda. Other than that, I got my pudding and the only ice cream that doesn't induce migraines (Blue Bunny No Sugar Added Vanilla). I found a wonderful zipperec organizer/notebook for my knitting patterns and papers. I can't remember everything I bought but it was all on the list. Like I said, I was pretty medicated. When I'm done shopping and paid up, I stuff all the purchases into my box and put the box into the cart. It's easy to get the box onto Metrolift and into the house. Multiple plastic bags would take a lot more time and effort.

Overall people are very kind when I'm walking around "stupid". I guess my face shows how I'm feeling, and they respond well. I've had a few people take a look at me wandering aimlessly down an aisle and duck away, but overall they're nice. Hey, I have to take these pills. I'm glad they work, and I'd tolerate far worse to be healthy.

I asked God for good trips and I got them, all day. We had two "Oh, it's good to see you again!" drivers who missed us, that's so nice to have a good reputation. No one missed having the OLD me around.

I had just enough time to put everything up and get ready for my trip to the yarn store when our ride showed. I raced outside and we got an almost-straight trip. Very nice! We went next door to the Mexican food place, ate a great lunch (Ron loves authentico Mexicana taquitos), and hobbled over to the yarn shop.

Ada was working today, she's a sweetheart and very professional. I put Ron in his corner and he listened to the radio for over an hour while I shopped. The store is about the same commercial square footage as our house, maybe 900 square feet (Yarns to Ewe on Shepherd), but loads of fun.

I love petting all the yarns, I'm very tactile. They'd rearranged and I felt incredibly stupid looking for the patterns. I went over to check on Ron and realized, they're right behind him. I had a good time pawing through all the patterns for about half an hour. I was talking to Ada about my organizer and showed it to her. I told her "I'm good at organizing the small things, but not very good at the big things!" Ron laughed pretty hard.

I also showed off his "Look Ma, No eye holes!" hat. They laughed. I thought it was adorable when Ron and I got home. He touched the foam head on top of the kitty condo (used for storing the hat) and said "He's bald, Heather!", in a plainative voice. I made sure to put the hat "Home" where it belongs.

So, I looked at patterns. I've eyed the new yarns. For some reason, the Malbrigo and Noro yarns don't really call me. I did hit the sock yarn department though. I wanted to get a big ball of the orange Trekking but it was that or some patterns, so I waited. I got a lime green skein of the Brown Sheep Wildfoote yarn - my idea is to make some handwamers on 4 DPNS (double pointed needles) and get used to managing them, I've only used DPNS to finish off a hat. Once I get the hang of that, move into making myself some cute and original socks. I have to wear sneakers at work but they can't dictate the socks!

All told, I did pretty well. I got some knitters graph paper, blocking pins, a Spin Off magazine, a cute triangle shawl pattern, and some Cascade and Brown Sheep yarns. Fun, fun, fun.

On the way home, we had to ride with a very decrepit, infirm lady. She had DRENCHED herself in the most noxious perfume, I could literally taste it. We were cooped up in a small sedan cab with her for half an hour. At the end of the ride, I was very dizzy and nauseated. I was so glad when she got out.

It kind of confirms my attitude of "Let the scented deodorant do the work, with maybe a tiny dab of 'splash' type fragrance." UGH. I never want anyone to think that about me. The sad thing is, even toxic body odor would have been better than that perfume!

When I got home, I was pretty sick - maybe a little lithium toxicity, car sickness and perfume fumes? I went straight for the Pepto bottle. I love the stuff, I adore it. I would be seriously screwed at least one day a week without it, so much so that I have a Pepto stash. One large swig, a trip to the bathroom, and a nap and I was OK.

Some days I feel guilty about working part time. Today wasn't one of them. I barely had the wits to shop at Walmart, there's no way I could have worked!

All in all, a good fun day.

Only a couple days to my birthday!

No comments: