Saturday, September 1, 2007

Inspiration strikes!

When I'm planning a project, I tend to let it "cook" in my mind for a while. I may not know much more than "I want a sleeveless hoodie with a zippered front". I look for a pattern, find one. Figure out how much yarn I'm going to need. Then I wait for lightning to strike. In the hoodie example, it was the Turquoise Paton's Merino "Too Teal". It's my favorite shade of turquoise. I seriously love turquoise. When I finish my gray vest I'll make it, using that yarn.

Mom's hat was easy. I pulled a ball of "Nashua Wooly stripes" out of my stash. I had lots of nice gray mohair-wool blend yarn. Bam. She loves it, by the way. That's always a happy moment.

Recently I bought some nice 300 count 100% cotton sheets in rose pink. I love rose, too. My bedroom is painted "Curry Gold" a nice rich gold. The sheets and the walls - PERFECT. So I plan to make some accessories in gold/rose.

I'm planning a hat for Dad. But what? He's not really a Denim Heather kind of guy. Ditto for the hot pink and orange wool. I dug further into my "Treasure Chest" yarn box. Cream? Nah. I resorted to pulling out some turquoise and royal blue alpaca yarn, maybe with some black heather. Hmmmm. I wasn't really feeling the love. Then I logged onto Knitpicks, poking around. I saw a yarn I really liked before, but my motto's "Unless I have a project, I don't buy it." THAT. FOR DAD. So I got it. It's a really nice yarn and I'll enjoy making his hat. I got a new circular needle (for the hat, of course!).

I need to warn the knitters out there who haven't tried the Knitpicks Options needles. Be very careful! Once you use them you'll throw out your plastic and bamboo, the stainless and the aluminum. Your projects will center on "Well, I have the size 8 option tips but not a 9".

Then you know you're addicted. I still like my bamboo circulars for travel projects, the stitches stay put and I can stuff it back in my bag without worries. But these things are GREAT.

No comments: