Monday, September 17, 2007

Ron has ruined me

Ron has ruined me for other men, particularly, other blind men. I expect a certain standard; and the guy we rode with today sure didn't meet it.

First of all, while Ron's blind he can get around. This guy couldn't. Even after a stroke Ron gets around better than him. He asked the driver to lead him around. He didn't use his white cane properly (he just kind of poked around vaguely as he walked), and worst of all, he had a horrible attitude. Ron is grateful and appreciative of service professionals, and he does nice things like telling them so. "I couldn't do your job! You make it look so easy!" Whooo! I was glad I married Ron and I told him so repeatedly. The driver thought we were a hoot.

Some people with a disability act like the whole world owes them a butt kissing, and I didn't appreciate the guy's comment of "People like your husband". Oh, you're better than him? In your dreams. He wished he could be half the man Ron is. It's the kind of encounter that makes me VERY glad I'd just taken my afternoon dose of Lithium and brought my knitting. I just dragged out my Fall Colors Beast (worsted weight shawl) and started purling away. It kept me from saying something I shouldn't have.

Yay! I got a comment! I got a comment! [scroll down] That always makes my day. Someone's reading!

Other than riding with grumpy, we had a great day. We got up at 5, went to work, got the donuts, got the sandwiches, put them up, I helped Ron, we left. Then we went to KFC, Ron was craving some chicken. I'm not a huge fan of chicken but they have a $2 lunch special with chicken fried steak. The steak was nicely tender and juicy, and it had a good brown gravy. I was pretty medicated all day so I was happy so sit there with my knitting and wait on the pickup.

Pretty soon, the driver pulled up and we had a great ride until "grumpy the incompotent blind man" got onboard. I'm sorry, I just hold everyone up to the Ron B. standard. Ron has a fanatical work ethic, to the point that it's a huge deal if he takes a 5 minute break at work. He's everything in your favorite Boy Scout and a lot of fun besides. He's interested in me, he listens, a good boss, and a great husband. He's very considerate of everyone. Like I said, he's ruined me for anyone else.

I'm glad I did an itch test for my new yarn, the Wool of the Andes. We have to wear security badges at work. I made Ron a chain-stitch badge holder (one giant loop of chain stitches), out of some red Paton's Merino. It's felted a little but it's in fantastic shape, which lets me know that a sweater would probably be durable, too. My old cotton "string" was looking kind of ratty so I cut it off and made a new loop out of the Wota. Today, I couldn't figure out why I felt like a cat, scratching at my neck all day. Then I realized, it's the wool. It's just too itchy for me. I am so, so glad I tried this out first. I would have been devastated to learn after making myself a vest or something. It would have been AWFUL. In the future, I think I'll do a "badge test" on all my new garmet yarns, just to make sure they don't make me itchy! It's so pretty, too. I may have to get myself some 3/4 sleeve tshirts and make something anyway.

I think I remember how to reply to my comments. I'm going to go try.

Oh, and my patterns are in Texas, according to UPS tracking. Worst case, I ought to get them tomorrow.

No comments: