Monday, September 24, 2007

Lite Brite

Remember those things? The lite-brite? You put the little light bulbs into the black, papercovered, pegboard. The bulbs would light up against the black background and look very pretty (I had one).

I was playing around with some scrap yarn yesterday. I have a whole box of brightly colored scraps, ranging from a few yards to a few dozen yards. I've been thinking they'd look fantastic against the black wool-ease that's been running around in my yarn box for a year. Wool-ease has held up very well in my "favorite" afghan that I've slept under for over 10 years.

So I cast on 36 stitches. Knit about 5 rows in black garter stitch. Joined my leftover "Sunshine" print - about 20 yards or so. I've only knitted a row and a half and I love it. It looks just like my old Lite-brite. I plan to use a couple rows of black in between the colors.

It ought to be great. Now, I'm thinking strips. I have a couple dozen granny squares hiding in a yarn box that I never even joined. Sewing together several strips would be a lot simpler.

I can even use one as a scarf. Best of all, it's yarn I enjoy, in colors I enjoy. I don't have to buy anything until I run out of the black wool-ease. That'll take a while.

In the meantime, I have a great project that's easy to carry around. I'm glad I did it.

No comments: