Sunday, September 16, 2007

Damsel in distress

Up until the late 80's, a girl like me had very few role models. In the action or horror movie, the woman cringed and wailed in the corner while the men fought it out (or man vs monster). Please! I always wanted to gag.

I was watching the Sci-fi channel today while I worked on Dad's hat (the lace is going well - the lace project, not the lace on Dad's hat... ;-P ), and the last movie was pretty decent. Until the end where the female cowered and the big strong men battled it out.

It wasn't until I saw women like Linda Hamilton (Terminator 2) and Sigourney Weaver (Aliens, the second Alien movie) battling it out, hand to fist, kicking and screaming their way to equality, that I had even the remotest sense of pride in being a woman. Up until then, women were too weak and stupid to participate in their own self-defense.

I told Dad today "I'm the daughter of an engineer, I like the technical aspects of vending". I meant it. Just because I happen to have a uterus doesn't make me some vapid moron. If someone has trouble with the fact that I can lift more than my husband, screw 'em.

I love the fact that in today's horror/thriller movies, the women are just as strong as the men. I cannot abide the "Damsel in Distress" concept.

No comments: