Sunday, September 23, 2007

It's nice

I was just poking around my favorites, froogling various items. Sites pop up, look interesting, I'd investigate and move on.

For about an hour, I really considered buying some hand cards. They run about $50-100. That's a decent investment. The most I've paid for anything fibery was $40 for my first spindle (money WELL spent). I thought about it.

I could use it to blend my own merino wool blends, merino and this, merino and that. Yak and Camel. Except. I have pounds of wool already that's ready to spin. I've only found a couple of types of loose, washed wool (I don't want a sheepy, greasy thing in my house, the cats would go nuts) ready to card and spin. I don'w want to wash my own fleece. I want it already, um, "scoured" I think is the term. RH Lindsay has a few but again, pounds of wool in my living room already.

So, let's forget the wool. I can use it to card exotic fibers! But I have 2 ounces of yak and a pound of camel. It's not going anywhere. I plan to spin one ply of each, then ply them together. I'm sure I'll love it. I'd like to blend them each with some wool - wool will add strength and resiliency, but here's something I could never grasp when I was "sick" and unmedicated.

It's not going anywhere! I can buy hand cards in a few months if I'm just burning for them. Until then, I'm going to get the history of European knitting designs (Scandanavian, Italian, French) I've been eyeing for a month or so. That's about $10 with shipping.

I've got the money in my account, budgeted for me to spend online, this week. That's not even counting my birthday money.

Now, if anyone who's family finds a set of fine hand cards for $10 or so, please buy them. [giggle] But I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: