Sunday, April 14, 2024

Sunday afternoon

 I decided I was already on the road to detox from caffeine and the diet soda, I would not buy any more soda at the store when I went today.  

(I also suspect my stomach issues are related to the soda)

And I didn't, for me, that is huge.  I paid all my bills online and then I took a Uber to the store.  I didn't want to run across two streets and take 2 buses to get there, lugging my hand cart.  That's a lot of work.  It was mainly the running across the street part that I couldn't do.  

I am fairly recovered but not enough for that.  

So I went ahead and looked at the Uber app to see what it would run.  I was I believe a platinum member back several years ago when Ron was alive, during COVID, I was taking them to and from work every day.  They have been wooing me off and on for years and apparently I got some sort of promotional thing half off today.  So I took it, a nice man named Josh.  

The store was mayhem and I was about maxed out but I got what I came for.  

I took some time arranging things in my cart.  Today the bus driver got a bottle of generic brand orange soda (she looked happy to get it), a 50 cent bag of nuts, the usual candy + evangelism, and a snack sized bag of nacho chips.  I like to get my driver a little "lunch" (it was that time) when I go to the grocery store and it only cost a few dollars.  

Oddly enough I am not queasy anymore.  But I don't want to test myself.  I would not have thought vomiting for a day straight would "fix" my stomach but it did - and I was down to the acid.  It was awful; but I do feel better now.  

So I figured I was a whole day off caffeine and diet soda, why not keep it up?  Well the headache kept getting worse today until I ate and had some Excedrin, so I will have to taper on the caffeine, but I am still not drinking the diet soda.  

I am not crazy about the term "addictive personality" (I know some of you are laughing at me, here, and it's fine) but I am.  I am an on or off person, I am not really a "moderation" person which is why I have been so, so, careful in my choices.  I never smoked, don't drink, avoid narcotics even when I had a gallbladder attack, etc.  

So once I get "off" the diet soda I just need to stay "off".  Especially when I am stressed out at work.  That's where I fall.  

And, the nausea is back.  Ugh.  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were drinking when Ron was alive and people tried to warn you not to get started on that slippery slope but you ignored all the sound advice.

Heather Knits said...

Drinking? Like one beer a year maybe. A case in point, I bought a six pack of designer beer because I liked dark, bitter, beers. I drank half a can and it went flat so I poured it out. Ron found the rest in the fridge and drank it even though he didn't like it.

I had a "airplane" sized shot of spiced rum during the ice storm back in 2021 and got a hideous 2 day migraine out of it, that was the last alcohol I had. It's not worth it to me.

It's the sugar and caffeine. That's the problem. Not alcohol, I won't touch the stuff seeing what it did to my mother and husband.

Anonymous said...

Nope you were drinking rum or something before Ron died and everyone was telling you not to start drinking.

Heather Knits said...

No I was not. I bought him some spiced rum which he actually requested in our last phone call. I figured if he was going to drink he might as well have a little variety.

Heather Knits said...

I actually think the more concerning habit was the hemp cigarettes. Looking back I am sure they had tobacco as well. Ron and I always hated smokers so I stopped. I went through about 4 packs of those in a few months.

Anonymous said...

I have only seen Heather ASK for advice once or twice.

Anonymous said...

Why are you lying about the drinking? You know you were drinking a little bit of alcohol just before Ron died.

Anonymous said...

Saturday, March 7, 2020

"I was looking for some sort of whiskey, cherry brandy, and spiced rum for me to sample..."
"Cherry brandy for me was a little spendy at about $12 for a liter. I wanted a flask to be honest but it was all they had."
"They had a clear bag you could use to carry your selections of the tiny bottles. I got a gin because I have never had gin and am curious.".

And you had 28 comments about it too!

Here is the post:https://houstonheather.blogspot.com/search?q=rum

Heather Knits said...

Why was I drinking? Caring for a bedridden Alzheimer's patient and running a business that was circling the drain? Battling my mood disorder and lousy finances? I am not surprised.

But a few months later I got the migraine off the Spiced rum. I also got a migraine off the gin if I recall.

Anonymous said...

At least you now admit to the drinking. Funny back when you posted about drinking you didn't mention doing it to cope with Ron. Now you admit it and admit to the drinking. Interesting.

Heather Knits said...

It wasn't just Ron it was my whole life at the time.