Saturday, June 2, 2018

What the cats want

Pretty proud of myself.

First, my morning.  I slept great.  Did not have any possums under the bed.  If I did, it was quiet.  I did step on Torbie when I went to go pee (I have to get up a couple times a night), and felt horrible about that, but she was fine.  She just kind of scolded me with a chiding meow, and moved.  "Hey, stupid, I'm here!". 

Got up late, went to the warehouse.  Got our supplies and took them to work.  Jack is great.  I consider him a good friend.  I told him I want to borrow his pit bull to take care of our possum problem.  He said she would definitely "fix" it, alright. 

Probably make a horrible mess, though, and I wouldn't want to do that to the possum anyway.  If he wasn't married, and I wasn't, I'd have hugged him.  He's genuine good people. 

We put the stuff away and stocked.  I helped Ron.  We came home. 

I took a nap.  I noticed one of my under bed storage boxes had been pushed out.  I automatically shoved it back into place, only then thinking "What if there's a possum under there, and you're squashing it?"  Apparently, if there was a possum, it turned the other cheek and didn't react to my rude invasion. 

I took a shower, I had gotten pretty hot working, and waiting on our ride.  Ron was appreciative today, he kept saying "how much I do".  I told him Jack does most of it, I just help.  The shower felt good, although I had to keep turning it colder.  I could have boiled myself if I had left it on the original setting. 

Our hot water heater is in the attic, which gets very hot in the summer.  I can run the shower at "mostly cold" and still be plenty warm.  It saves wear and tear on the water heater. 

I got out and dressed in clean clothes, then we got some dinner at the seafood place.  It is a casual dining, outdoor seating, place.  They were busy. 

It was pretty uneventful, except I couldn't open my pill container.  I had to take my pills.  I ended up asking the waitress for help, and she did.  I would have hated to miss a dose. 

We came home.  I finally finished washing a clean set of sheets so I could change them, then I changed the fitted sheet, fixed the mattress cover, etc.  I also stripped off the heated mattress pad, which will probably tell you right there how long it's been since I changed my sheets.  So, I did the mattress, fitted sheet, pillows, and I have the top sheet in the dryer.  When it comes out I will be ready to go to bed. 

I called Mom & Dad.  Dad is cancer free, that's good to hear.  I told them about Ron's puffy legs, our pending doctor's appointment, and the latest possum update.  They are both very glad it is my problem, and not theirs. 

The things they don't tell you when you get a cat door.  I am sure I have had possums in the house before we built the catio, especially since this one seems to like indoor living so much.  I just didn't know, they're sneaky and quiet. 

Unless they are under my bed.  Everyone asks how I can handle knowing one goes under there when I'm in it.  I answer that by saying I have had so much scary crap in my head, this is nothing.  And it's true. 

Plus, growing up, my Dad used to take me to horror movies all the time, renting them, movie theatres, etc.  So I am used to scary stuff.  The possum doesn't want to eat my face off (unless I die and am pretty ripe, first).  It just wants to eat cat food and hang out in the air conditioning.  I can understand that. 

That's what the cats want, after all. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How messy is your bedroom that you can't even tell if there is a a wild animal inside your house?

Heather Knits said...

Do you want a photo? I have a lot of storage boxes under my bed. I don't want to start pulling them out and upset the possum. It will just freak out, which will make me freak out. I didn't hear it last night. I remain hopeful it either escaped through the garage or went back out the cat door.

Anonymous said...

A bed only has so much room for storage boxes. This sounds shady. I mean this thing is obviously urinating and defecating in your room and house somewhere. It seems to me you would want to get it out ASAP and not fool around with this. It is a health issue more than anything really at this point. You will still have to remove the stuff to clean under your bed, etc. So why not just get it going when you are mentally and physically able to. Sounds like you need to get rid of stuff so you and pare down and this is a great reason to get it started.

Why have a cat door anyway? The cats use their litter boxes indoors, etc. Where does this cat door lead to? Doesn't make sense a possum could get in through the catio and if they possum can get in then the cats can get out.

Anonymous said...

They have an online candy store called OLD Time Candy .com Bulk wrapped candy at 19cents a pound on up to 50 cents or so. It would be a lot cheaper if you are going to continue with your spiritual treats/tracts....just a thought. Could save you a lot.

Heather Knits said...

Thanks a lot on the candy tip! I will check that out! I am doing a lot of hard wrapped candy right about now - I phase to more chocolates when it gets "cold" here (under 70) so it won't melt when we're outside waiting on a ride.

Heather Knits said...

I would say you must not be a ongoing reader if you don't know what is outside the cat door. We spent a lot of time and money building a CATIO, an enclosed cat area, with fencing on the sides. However, the wooden plywood "roof" was sagging and I believe that's how the possum got in. About the rest, it's none of your damned business. My house is safe for me, Ron, and the cats. If there is a possum it could very well be using the litter box. If not, I have a carpet cleaner.

Anonymous said...

" My house is safe for me, Ron, and the cats. If there is a possum it could very well be using the litter box. If not, I have a carpet cleaner. "

Why don't you fix the sagging roof? Mosquitoes and more can get into the catio and perhaps that is why your cats sometimes get worms as they are transferred from mosquitoes a lot of times. Not to mention rain and everything else getting in. Didn't you pay someone to build the catio for you? They did not do a very good job if the roof is sagging.

You can't clean the carpet if you don't move the stuff out from under your bed.

Anonymous said...

Heather, long time reader and commenter, never said anything negative, and I think you own...

However, you need the possum out ASAP (I won't be negative to you like the other commenter! You own!). They are filthy and could make your cats very sick.

https://www.crittercontrol.com/services/opossums/are-opossums-dangerous

http://wildliferemovalusa.com/opossum-diseases.html

They are dirty animals that have TONS of awful stuff on them.

Anonymous said...

How was the other comment negative?