Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Seagulls are thugs

What have I been up to?  Here's a hint. 

I look awful, but I love you, readers, so I will share. 

Light colors are not flattering on large people, but it's one of my favorite t-shirts. 

So, Monday morning, I went to work.  We stocked, etc.  I helped Ron do his thing.  Ron's back started spasming so he had to lay down.  I have a sleeping bag for him at work, he lays on top of it in the hall, out of the way (the fire exit hall, if we have a fire poor Ron's getting trampled, but that's not a big probability).  He laid down for about an hour while I worked. 

There is zero chance Ron could ever hold down another job at this point and time. 

Finally, time to go.  I got him ready and we went out to Mom and Dad, waiting in the SUV.  Dad was upgraded, because they didn't have "his" car. 

I got Ron in the car, the wheelchair in the trunk (I am not asking my 70+ Dad to heft a wheelchair), and off we went.  We got some lunch at a little seafood shack, they really enjoyed it, as I hoped they would.  Then we went to Galveston. 

We had a good time on the way, but by the time we checked in to our hotel (really more of a motel, but it is reliable and comfortable), Ron's back was in trouble again.  He laid down for a couple of hours.  I tried to take a nap but it didn't work. 

I texted them when I got up,and they came and got me.  Ron wasn't going anywhere.  He did not bring alcohol.  I told him I wouldn't "help".  So he laid in bed with his talking book while we left.  We did some exploring of the island, fed some seagulls - well, I did.  They stayed in the car and she look pictures. 

We did some more exploring.  Ron shot me a few text messages.  My text message alert tone makes Dad jump, I finally put it in airplane mode. 

We went out to dinner.  It was nice talking to them.  They could finally ask me questions about Ron.  They know about the drinking but they were more interested in the medical end of things.  I talked to them.  They think he might need a hospital bed. 

I'm sure I could get him one, if he wants.  But when I got back to him he said no, thanks. 

The meal was pretty good, although I wouldn't get the crab cake thing again.  I ate some bread pudding for dessert.  It was good, but it had alcohol in the sauce.  I could taste it. 

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate alcohol?  Other than that it was fine. 

They took me back to the hotel room.  Oh, something funny.  When I checked in they wanted my car information.  I told them I didn't have a car, someone had dropped me off.  She was very surprised. 

The people next door kept talking loudly for a while, on their cell phones, I think.  They finally shut up.  I slept fitfully but I did dream so I got some REMS.  I woke up at 7, my usual time. 

I got up and talked to Ron for a little while.  We did not whisper, so we probably woke up the loud talkers in the next room.  I didn't feel at all bad about that. 

I took a nice long shower.  They have an insanely wonderful showerhead at the motel.  I took my time and shaved my legs.  Then I took Ron to breakfast.  It was walking distance, I pushed him in the wheelchair. 

They only had wheelchair ramps at the wheelchair rooms - and we were in a standard ground floor room.  I had to go through the motel to get out to the street. 

I took him to a breakfast place.  He got a big meal.  I had a smaller meal, which is starting to wear off.  Then we went back to the motel.  I called Mom and Dad to come get me.  Ron didn't want to go out because he would have to sit up for over an hour on the way home, he wanted to save his back. 

Dad got some gas while Mom got lattes for them, and I got some bread (only 2 loaves, this time) for the seagulls.  We drove around for a while and found a likely spot, and that's where they took the picture. 

I really enjoy feeding the seagulls.  They are so cute, cawing and begging for food.  They get pretty close, too.  If I hold a slice of bread in the air they will swoop by and take chunks. 

There was a pitiful little pigeon, too.  I made sure he (coloring says a male) got his fair share of bread although the seagulls are thugs. 

Our boss called, he is bringing "new" vending machines this week.  We will need to work 2 extra days, one to prepare for it, and another day to get them.  It will take a while but Ron has his sleeping bag so he can lie down. 

We might want to look into getting a reclining wheelchair.  Although I think it hurts him to lean back, forward is better for him. 

Back to the visit - I hung up after coordinating some details with Ron.  I am glad this is happening this week, and not next week when Ron had doctor's appointments. 

It's going to be a busy couple weeks. 

We went back and got Ron, checked out.  We were about 15 miles down the road when the motel called and said Ron left his talking book.  He was very upset at me, but did more the martyr thing than name calling. 

I would have liked to see him try his usual stuff in front of my Dad!  Ha!  We went back and got it, then headed home. 

We said goodbye in the driveway and went in the house.  Biscuit was very happy to see me, and Baby Girl happy to see Ron.  Torbie played it cool, only coming out for treats.  They ate 2 days' of food in one day, good thing I came back.  Biscuit took a nap with me. 

This morning, it felt so odd brushing my teeth, without him begging for breakfast.  He seems to be very cuddly since I came back, he's lying next to me right now.  It makes it hard to get to the kitchen. 

I need to do some dinner.  I need to do up my pills - I was lazy and just brought the 4 prescription bottles with me in the bag. 

Ron is happy laying in bed.  Tomorrow we get up early and do our prep work for the vending machine.  Hopefully sales were pretty good and it is mostly empty. 

I will probably need to bring an empty crate, though, just in case.  I'm sure I have one around the house somewhere. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are one of God's beautiful people, thank you for sharing that picture. So happy for you to have time with your parents too. Wonderful for them to take you to the ocean for a short respite/vacation.
Best wishes/and prayers.

spankadoo said...

you look so happy feeding the birds Heather do not worry about your weight you are beautiful the way you are as long as you feel good it is what it is much love and glad you were able to get away for a couple of days! OOOXXX

Anonymous said...

You have such different gulls than we do where I live it is amazing the variety ! Yours are much cuter with the black heads!