Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Home for the night and finally got my pills

Something TOLD me to bring my pills today (my afternoon/evening ones).  I didn't listen. 

So, we went to the doctor.  The plan was to go to the doctor and then go to Walmart, then home, and get some dinner later. 

At first, it was pretty uneventful.  We waited, they saw us early.  Doc examined Ron and said yes, he had edema.  He said it could be a number of things and he wanted to run some tests, today.  So Ron went off for a blood draw.  Then Imaging. 

Imaging was pretty funny.  The practice is affiliated with a private hospital.  They wanted us to go there, but it is about half a mile down the road.  I told them I would have to push Ron in the wheelchair.  They went off and had a discussion about it, came back, and said Ron could be "done" at the doctor's office, but we would have to wait until 2 (over 2 hours). 

So we went out for coffee (Ron did, I had a steamed milk).  They knew about this, and called us to say our copay would be $190.  OUch. 

We went back and waited.  Ron's back started spasming, and no vodka, so I found a place for him to lie down.  They found us and took us to imaging. 

This was Ron's fourth ultrasound in 15 years.  At first it was all fun and games, we were kidding around with the tech.  Then she got really quiet, and when she finished she ran out of the room.  She came back and said Ron was positive for blood clots in both legs, and he had to see the doctor immediately.  And sure enough, Doc saw him within 3 minutes, yelling Ron had to go to the hospital ASAP. 

Ron arranged a ride to the hospital and we got there pretty quick.  They saw us right away and I gave them the stuff from the doctor, along with Doc's business card.  They looked at his legs - which had become a rather mottled ruddy color, and took him off for more testing.  They brought him back with an IV in his arm (just the port, nothing dripping).  We waited a while and then they took us back. 

They saw Ron and examined him, said he had "moderate edema".  Doc sent him off to CAT scan and he came back.  A nurse came and gave him an injection of blood thinner.  I don't know what the CAT scan results said, but the next thing we knew they were admitting Ron to the hospital.  And he's a Medicare patient.  They aren't going to make much money off him.  So he must be fairly bad. 

When the nurse put the hospital socks on him, he was pretty freaked.  Ron had apparently gotten worse just through the course of the day.  His legs look AWFUL now. 

I had kept my parents, and my aunt (local) updated throughout the day.  My aunt came and took me to Walmart, and then home.  We got a quick dinner (McD's) on the way. 

Ron wanted me to bring him some stuff, so I packed a bag with his stuff.  Oops, I just remembered I forgot the deodorant.  I need to go throw that in there.  Done. 

The cats were freaking out when I came home alone, Ron's cat in particular.  Poor little nut.  I gave the girls treats (treats make Biscuit sick).  I ate something and FINALLY took my pills. 

I'm not sure what to think about the fact they have Ron on a heart monitor.  He is in a regular room, but they have him on a heart monitor.  They aren't monitoring any of his other vitals, though, except for the usual periodic checks. 

I made sure he was wrapped up really good, he gets cold in a hospital.  Ron was really impressed with my care today. 

And that's what it comes down to: God would want me, in spite of everything, to give my best, and I can say I have, today.  I made sure he was comfortable.  I shared what I understood about his problem.  I got him snacks when he wanted them.  I made sure he was oriented to his room and I put his wheelchair right next to the bed. 

I am waiting on a load of laundry to finish and then I will go to bed.  Tomorrow I will take the bus out to the hospital and see him. 

I can't help but think how glad I am I gave him a really good bath yesterday. 

5 comments:

Spankadoo said...

I am hoping you told the dr how much Ron drinks? I am sure he is in good hands I am so sorry this happened Healther
Take good care of yourself .

Anonymous said...

Wow. Keep us posted. Maybe the heart monitor can tell if the clots start moving towards his heart?

Heather Knits said...

Ron was honest with original family practice doctor, I was surprised.

They had a Medicare questionarre at the original doctor's office: they have to do every year, and he told them he drinks more than 4x a week (their maximum). He hasn't had a drink in over a day so we will see.

He did fine in the rehab hospital (for his back) a couple years ago, with no alcohol, so we will see. Maybe I should say that again. Gotta run, take my shower and do my God Time so I can call a cab. I didn't think chocolate treats for the nursing staff would do well riding the bus.

Anonymous said...

The reason his legs got worse yesterday is because he didn't have anything to drink. The alcohol actually thins the blood and probably saved his life.

Anonymous said...

A heart monitor cannot tell if clots are moving toward a persons heart. It monitors the heart only and is standard protocol when you are admitted to the hospital. His main concern with being there is not getting staph or MRSA.