Saturday, June 23, 2018

"I'm tired of cleaning up your messes"

I forgot to post yesterday. 

Let me get some diet lemonade and I will be right back. 

I had yesterday off.  I went out for Mexican food with Ron in the morning, and then took a nap.  When I got up, I read my new vending machine manual.  I learned about some important settings I'd have to make for everyone to have a good vending experience. 

I'm going to geek out a little bit.  There is one setting, Fast Change.  If it is not set to ON then the machine keeps the change as a credit toward the next purchase.  You want to see an angry customer?  Set Fast Change to Off.  They will get furious and abuse the machine.  And me. 

Another setting: force vend.  If you put your money in, and then change your mind, you don't get it back if Force Vend is set to On.  It will keep the money, and force a vend (hence the name). 

So I knew I would have to go into work and make sure those settings were correct. 

I went to bed early, woke up exhausted, and went to the warehouse.   I bought supplies and some candy to hand out (bought the candy with my money). 

Ron complained a little, they were only handing out tiny, pink, cupcakes.  He likes to make a breakfast of the samples on Saturday. 

Jack came and we went to work.  We unloaded the truck and he left.  I took everything into the building. 

The "new" cart is smaller, but, other than being - smaller, it was fine and will work until my 2 new carts arrive in a few months. 

I sat down with my manual and the new vending machine.  It took some doing to fill the change bank, my hands were shaking and I dropped some coins.  Then onto other settings, force vend: off.  Fast change WAS off but I set it to on - the customer will now immediately get their change when they make a purchase.  Etc.  I got it all done. 

Then I had to program prices.  I just set entire rows to a certain price, one $1, two 75 cents, three $1. 

Now that the machine was working, I stocked it.  Then I tested it and it worked perfectly.  I saw customers using it and they seemed to like it. 

Ron "broke" the new bill changer.  I managed to fix it, with God's help, but I snapped "I'm tired of cleaning up your messes" at him. 

I helped Ron, more than that, and got all my crap reloaded onto the carts.  We left and came home. 

Happily, our ride was early, taking us home.  Always happy to see a bright yellow cab with a Metrolift placard on the side. 

We came home, I took a nap.  I woke up with a nasty headache.  The Excedrin isn't helping much.  I need to eat and take my pills before I go to bed. 

I called my parents, they are visiting her mother, who nearly died of food poisoning a few years ago.  She lost her companion to the infection - his kidneys were destroyed and he didn't want to live on dialysis.  It was really sad. 

Overall, if I don't get an early death, like my mother, her father, my Dad's father - I should be OK for decades yet.  My family is pretty long lived.  Both grandmothers made it into their 80's.  My one grandmother had cancer for over 10 years.  The other one died after surgery on her back. 

So, they are doing well.  On this "trip" alone (the whole journey) Dad estimates it will be about 4500 miles total, traveled.  I believe it. 

My head's feeling a little better.  I'm going to go round up some dinner. 

No comments: