Thursday, February 1, 2018

That really sucked

Oh, that sucked. 

Timeline: Sunday night, I ate a dark chocolate bar.  Sometimes, chocolate has been implicated in a headache, but seldom a migraine.  I can't type.  We also had a Supermoon, which has been definitively linked to my migraines.  I'm just "special" when it comes to the moon, I guess.  Maybe I'm part lycanthrope. 

Monday morning, around 1, I woke up with a pretty bad headache.  I took my standard "3 aspirin" and went back to bed.  I woke up at 5 with an even worse headache.  I took a Phenergan and brought my bucket, because I knew, with this kind of headache, there was a very good chance I would escalate to vomiting migraine.

And I was right.  I got sick in the bucket standing next to the vehicle as the driver unloaded Ron's wheelchair.  I got sick again stocking the Cheetos (had time to grab my bucket).  Each time, I went to the custodial closet (technically off limits) and washed out the bucket.  We finished out the day and came home. 

I curled up in a ball, vomiting another couple times before I went to sleep.  I got so dehydrated my lips peeled.  I did manage to get some water down, and I was still urinating, so I wasn't too worried. 

Tuesday: pain, nausea, vomiting.  Small sips of water and gatorade when I could.  Finally threw up for the last time around 9 PM.  Didn't sleep well. 

No medication at all during this time, just some phenergan suppositories.  I'm amazed I'm still functional. 

Wednesday: a blur of pain, nausea, choking down water and finishing the last of the gatorade.  I ate a few small pretzels because I remembered Doc's lecture about the lithium ion being stronger than the sodium ion and pushing it out of the body.  I had nightmares, when I slept (finally!) that I was in labor, the pain was so bad. 

When I woke up today, the pain was still bad.  How was the pain,Heather?  Kind of a drilling, throbbing, sort of sensation that extended all the way down to the roots of my molars.  Really quite awful.  I've had migraines so bad I went to the dentist because I was convinced I had a dental problem. 

It got better within a couple of hours and is mostly gone now.  I am drinking a lot more but my appetite hasn't come back yet. 

As a rule, I don't eat until I get my appetite back.  And I was pretty violently ill for a couple of days there, that's going to take some time to recover.  I am down 10 pounds, though.  Probably water loss and glycogen (a temporary fuel your body stores for times like this). 

Then I have the question of when to start up the medication again.  It is pretty harsh on the stomach, so I will have to be careful taking it, with something bland, yet thick enough to buffer it.  I sure as hell don't feel like cooking and Ron is pretty limited in what he can do to help. 

He had a blackout one night, thought he was in the garage, and woke me up screaming for me to "put him back in the house".  I realized his delusions when he is drunk are remarkably similar to the head injury dementia he had after the accident.  Depressing, that.  I thought "we" were over that. 

Somehow I see Ron going down in flames, although, with that exception, he was pretty quiet.  He kept making trips to Denny's and asking if I wanted to go, which was almost enough to make me hurl again.  Just the thought of fried eggs or butter.....stilll....

I haven't had a shower since Sunday.  Amazingly, I don't reek.  Let's hear it for the Crystal Deodorant roll on.  I put it on because it was unscented and I couldn't bear any fragrances but it did a really good job.  Yup, don't reek.  My hair doesn't look that bad, either, considering.  I thought it would be a lot more greasy but it's just kind of blah.  I did try to keep it brushed out so I wouldn't end up with a nest of tangles. 

I wasn't too wild about having longer hair (shoulder length) with this headache, rolling over in bed, it got stuck in my face and mouth, a real PITA.  If I knew I was going to have a lot more migraines in my life I'd just cut it short.  And I like it long.  But it wasn't too bad, just annoying. 

Cats: I didn't see Baby Girl at all, the fickle traitor.  She was probably happy I was too sick to trim knots out of her fur.  Torbie slept with me some, and Biscuit.  At one point, they ran out of dry cat food.  Biscuit was persistent, yet lovingly gentle, in encouraging me to get out of bed and feed them.  I finally figured it out and felt like a real idiot and a terrible mother.  As a result, pretty much everytime I walk past the food bowl I am throwing another scoop on top. 

Tomorrow I have to get up at 1-2 AM and go to work to get our Dr Pepper delivery, and stock.  I'm sure the machines have been pillaged by now.  I will be very busy, and get a lot of flack, from my customers. 

I drank a diet decaf iced tea and most of my headache is gone.  I suspect some of today's headache is aspartame withdrawal.  I will have to think about that.  I am sure I am pretty much off caffeine since I had my last on Sunday.  I only drink about 80 mg of caffeine every day anyway, unless we eat out somewhere. 

That's it for now.  I sure hope I sleep OK tonight.  No sleep for a week really does me in, especially when added to no meds for almost a week. 

And no, I won't do anything stupid like say "I'm fine now so I don't need them anymore". 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you girl.

Anonymous said...

Feel better! Praying for you.