Monday, January 6, 2014

"We'd have to fight our way out!"

I found myself singing "Hail to the Redskins" with a complete stranger at Carl's Jr today. 

Ron had taken me there for an awesome breakfast.  He also wanted to try a thickburger.  I was happy to go. 

I have happy memories of the restaurant because that's where we met. 

It's also really good food. 

So, we're done eating.  A man leaned against the railing next to me, standing up as I sit in the booth.  He's a big, "scary" black man, wearing a Redskins logo jacket.  I stared at the logo, remembering when I lived in Redskins territory.  He felt me looking and turned his head. 

"They taught me 'Hail to the Redskins' in elementary school!" I told him with a grin.  He started singing, pumping his fist in the air.  I joined him, Ron laughing across the table. 

Everyone in the restaurant glared at us, and we stopped.  "You know" the man told me "In Dallas we'd have to fight our way out of here!"  I agreed. 

Food ready, he warmly told me goodbye, and left. 

Ron had to laugh.  "That could only happen to you" he said. 

"I guess I can make conversation with just about anyone" I replied.  "You know this is going in the blog." 

After last year, I give Ron heads up on what I'm writing. 

We came home.  I took a nap. 

It's cold.  Feels like 15 this morning.  The purple things out front are dead - link, at least for now.  They always come back like an ex boyfriend.  I have ripped them out, poisoned them, smothered them, frozen them, neglected them through horrific droughts, and they just won't die.  We'll see if this polishes them off.

I covered up the plants I do like, an acerola cherry (it's pretty big and I've eaten some fruit), a bay tree (a couple feet tall, in a pot), and the jasmine.  It is nice not having a huge garden full of tender plants. 

It will get down in the teens tonight.  Surprisingly, driving to the restaurant I saw some active homeless encampments.  They had a lot of clothes/blankets piled up.  I guess they're nesting. 

The shelters don't allow drinking or drug use.   I wonder how many will die tonight. 

I was proud of Ron tonight, he called a wrong number.  He asked permission, and then gave her the "Don't take the mark" speech. 

Here's the gist of it: one day, "they" will put a mark in your right hand or forehead.  They'll say you won't be able to buy or sell without it.  God already talked about it in Revelation chapter 13&14, and said if you take the mark you're in for big trouble.  It's better to have man mad at you than to have God mad at you, so when it comes "Don't take the mark!" 

I think I got most of it.  You get the idea.  Ron tells everyone.  I support him. 

If God's laid in on him to do this, he'd better do it.  It's the same with "my" Bible Handouts. 

I thought it was great he told the "wrong number".  The lady didn't seem to mind, Ron said she was laughing (the usual reaction, which doesn't faze him). 

Now I just need to check the mail.  My vitamins may be coming today and I don't want them, literally, freezing in the mailbox tonight.  Besides, tomorrow will be a lot worse. 


No comments: