Sunday, January 26, 2014

"My Kind"

"I'm as upset" I told Ron "As if I walked into church and found them having an orgy!" 

Ron snorted.  I continued. 

I have a couple safe places online.  Here, Facebook, and a Christian message board (un-named). 

As you know, I've been pretty upset about the case in Texas, with the brain dead pregnant woman taken off life support.  Why?  Because her husband and mother decided they didn't want a baby with disabilities.  They were very clear on that, them and their attorney. 

I, of course, got pretty upset.  As a disabled person married to another person with disabilities, I don't like to hear of "my kind" being "put down". 

Who would?  I know it happens, especially with the advances in ultrasound technology and prenatal testing.  It doesn't mean I like it. 

I know some wonderful people, online and in person (one a relative) who make a point of adopting special children.  The child could have had a home. 

I know a lot of very conservative Christians.  If you want to watch them boil, mention abortion.  They loathe it.  They loathe those who perform the abortions.  They loathe those who encourage abortions. 

I would think (now, I'm not so sure) that if you mentioned aborting a child due to a disability, they'd be outraged and protective of the child.  "Don't do it!"  "Baby deserves life!"  "Who could do that?!" 

So, when I mentioned this case, I did so thinking I'd have... support for my position. 

Not.  Quite. 

I was horrified at the responses.  Apparently it's OK to kill a disabled baby, if the family doesn't want it.  What are they, Hitler?   I won't even talk about some of the responses. 

A few, family of the disabled, got my point.  The rest did not. 

In fact, they seemed ready to pull the plug themselves. 

I vented all this at Ron (a good listener) and he said "What did you expect?  We're all in the toilet here in the End Times!" 

"Ron" I told him "I thought they were at least up on the rim!" 

I'm going to take a break from that board for a while.  [sigh]  I really expected better. 



No comments: