Thursday, January 23, 2014

Red Wool Blanket

Ron and I waited by the side of the road, in our winter wear.  Ron wore a garbage bag over his jacket and slacks.  He sat on a folding stool. 

I stood next to him, wearing long underwear layered with a t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, jeans, wool socks, a knit hat, and a scarf I made a while back.  Over it all, I wrapped myself in a red wool blanket.  I imagine we made quite a spectacle.  The driver sure had a good time laughing when she stopped to load us.

Today was, I guess I'd say the "new standard".  I got up at 5, shower, God Time.  I cleaned the cat's water fountain and refilled it with filtered water.  I tend to spoil those I love. 

I knew it would be cold so I brought my cold weather bag - garbage bags, plastic bags, a blanket, hat, gloves, etc. 

We went to the warehouse and got some inventory, bottled soda.  I got a few snack items.  We went to work and stocked. 

One of the construction guys came over and introduced himself; he used to deliver our pastries.  He really seems to enjoy his construction job.  I was happy to see him doing well. 

Two construction workers asked us which machines were "ours" because they want to help us out, I told them and they said they'd let the others know.  I guess they like us.  They sure like seeing Ron ride by on his cart, and I think they like the "energy" between us.   

I think they also admire his work ethic.  We're both stocking at the same time.  I will always give Ron help if he needs it, but generally he doesn't. 

After work, we went home... maybe for good, but we couldn't.  We had to get more inventory.  Ron had made a second trip to the warehouse.  We went, got the inventory, brought it to work, and stocked. 

After work, we "got" to wait outside in feels like 20's degree weather.  We used to have a bus stop, with walls and a roof.  It made things a lot more bearable.  But, not anymore.  They demolished it.

Which left Ron and I, literally, standing out in the cold waiting on our ride.  People were driving like idiots today.  I love Houston, but we got into full panic mode at the mention of the word "ice".  We handle severe weather with aplomb.  We scoff at tropical storms.  We shrug at flooding rains and droughts...but get a little ice on the ground and everyone panics. 

Even though it was 40's for most of the day, people were just driving either really recklessly or very slowly.  I'm glad I get tomorrow off (Metrolift is actually saying no one's riding unless it's to dialysis or chemotherapy). 

Our driver finally came and laughed at the sight of the walking garbage bag and his long white cane.  I stuffed my blanket in my tote bag and jumped in.  As we rode, I started pulling off layers and putting them into the bag. 

I'm so glad I knew it would be cold.  Knew we'd have wind and rain.  It would have SUCKED otherwise. 

As it was, I was surprisingly cozy in my red wool blanket. 


No comments: