Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I always sleep better with a cat in the bed

Early bedtimes (@6) are always iffy.  The neighbors may be active in some way; ambient noise... or I may just not be able to sleep. 

Last night I lay awake with a burning urethra, kicking myself for not drinking enough water.  I'd tried to "cut back" because I didn't want to get up every 5 minutes after I lay down (the usual).  Instead, I went too far the other way and had to deal with the burning - at least until I got enough water down the hatch. 

Once I did that, I slept great.  I also had my secret weapon: Torbie.  Torbie's a very good natured cat.  When I'm ready to go to bed, I set everything up, then I pick her up - an armload of orange and brown fluff, and take her to bed.  I set her down in "her" spot and she settles in.  She might get on top of me for some petting and cuddles, though.  I always sleep better with a cat in the bed.  She's very obliging. 

Today I had to worm her.  She was great, a little baffled, hid for a minute, but came right out when I rattled the treat bag.  Then we went back to doing God Time. 

First, though... I overslept.  I had a great quality of sleep and a decent duration.  I woke up and checked the clock - 2:40.  I'd meant to get up at 2.  Oops.  I had to shelve the God Time and take my shower. 

Ron and I talked for a while, too.  It's his birthday.  I want it to be a good one. 

Our ride came early, around 4, and I loaded all the drinks while the driver stood off to the side, watching.  I'm a hypocrite.  I don't want any help.  I would be annoyed if he tried to help.  But he could have at least offered.  Instead he just stood there.  I know, ridiculous for me to be upset. 

We got to work, unloaded, got the freezer loaded.  I stocked what I could.  We went back and checked the freezer (our location, and the freezer, are on opposite sides of a very large building).  Some things had to be adjusted.  We waited a while and talked some more; then got the coldest drinks out and stocked them. 

Ron was a little upset when I told him I had to work on the coin mech.  I had to explain "It ONLY needs nickels" a couple different ways.  He thought it was broken.  No, it's fine.  I just had to load it. 

After that we went out and waited on our ride.  It came pretty quick but he was pretty confused.  He kept driving around in circles, in the wrong parking lot, even though our notes clearly directed him.   

I have to admit, I was not as patient as I could have been, with the first 2 drivers today.  I'm not very proud about that. 

We got home.  I took a nap (with Torbie).  I had a hard time getting up but Ron wanted fried chicken. He hasn't had fried chicken in months.  I got up and dressed. 

Our ride was late and Ron was pretty irked at the driver (his turn, I guess).  We got there and a "recipient" asked me for money.  He looked just like one of the guys in the ghetto.  I said no. 

Let me explain something.  My Dad has worked with homeless drug addicts for 30 some years.  He says "Never give them money".  I spoke to a former drug dealer, who told me the same thing "It always came right to me."   So, I don't give them money. 

Had I felt he was in hardship I'd have bought him a $1 chicken special.  As it was, his labels cost a lot more than mine (not sure what's going on there). 

I met a woman on paratransit who became hysterical because the driver wouldn't roll down her window for a beggar.  She was very upset.  The gist of it: she felt God would only protect her, and her grand-daughter, if she gave money to everyone who asked.  If she didn't do this, God would allow this scenario to occur: grand-daughters car would break down.  A psycho would be the only one to stop.  He would violate her in unspeakable ways - because she didn't give money to the beggar.

Now, you know me.  I'd have given her a haldol.  Clearly "we" had some delusional issues, and God never works that way.   But the woman was really upset and kept reciting the scenario of the broken down car and the psycho, until we dropped her off. 

When she got out, the driver and I looked at each other, in shock. 

Ron and I headed into the chicken place.  When we've gone before, they had very long lines and a LOT of inefficiency.  However, they have a new manager, and it showed.  We could walk right up to the register and order.  The restaurant was clean, too.  Impressive during a $1 2 piece dark fried chicken special. 

Ron got 4 specials and ate 4 drumsticks, with some french fries.  He was having a good time and didn't get sick.  He has all the thighs waiting in the fridge, too.  The cats won't touch people food. 

On the way home, we rode with 2 women we have met before.  I don't like them.  1.  They are JW's.  I can tell by the way they were talking about Christmas.  Plus they had that superior attitude.  God calls us to be servants.  [sigh]  Not going there at present.  2.  They have fake service dogs.  A giant poodle on a leash, "trained at home" is not a service dog.  A friend says yes, it is, legally.  I say it's abusing the system.  I don't take my pet around everywhere.  I doubt the dog actually performs any useful, needed tasks - I'll ask next time.  As it was the dog was hogging half the vehicle and it was VERY crowded. 

They were having a minor snit fit over the fact we'd get dropped off first, but we were on the way. 

I didn't buy the house to impress anyone.  My home is a simple bungalow, but it's surrounded by a lot of "nice" brick homes.  When I think brick home, I think this:

That's why I bought a bungalow.  Anyway, the other women (she rides with her mother, they each have a pet dog) were impressed.  Like I said, I didn't buy the house to impress anyone.  I just want a quiet, safe, place to lay my head. 

I tried to take another nap (I had heard a lot of coughing at the chicken place), but couldn't.  So I gave up on that and finally did my God Time.  With Torbie.  She took off after we finished, still peeved about the worming. 

Baby Girl is still lying under my chair, though.

No comments: