Thursday, March 21, 2013

Things will suck

This will be one my "religious" posts. 

So, let's start with actual Bible: 

Matthew 6:25-34

New King James Version (NKJV)

Do Not Worry

25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind

I think this one is most important:

2 Timothy 3

New King James Version (NKJV)

Perilous Times and Perilous Men

3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth
 

Matthew 24:4-14

New King James Version (NKJV)
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all[a] these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences,[b] and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Sorry my Scripture links are all wierd.  That's what happens with cut and paste.  I guess, if I were a really good Christian, I would type it all out myself. 

So, first 2 sections: Don't worry, honey, I've got your back - says God. 

Second 2 sections: In the end times, things will suck. 

Sometimes, I think people get so focused on the things that are bad, evil, and corrupt, they lose sight of the commandments not to worry.  I saw that tonight. 

Things will suck.  They do.  That's a given. 

I feel a particular pity for parents of little girls, trying to keep them safe in these times.  Although any parent worries, these days.  There's evil everywhere.  It could be right next door. 

Hell, I worry about my cats! 

Just for "fun" let's look up the sex offender database.  Well, that was depressing.  Used to be we only had one in the neighborhood.  Now we have a couple with a taste for adult women. 

How will I use that information?  Well, I'm always indoors, or with Ron, at night.  I won't take rides from strangers (more tempting than you might think during really miserable weather).   And it's Texas, nice people want to give me rides. 

During a record breaking heat wave, I think it was 110 that day and not a cloud in the sky - a guy in an SUV pulled up the bus stop and offered me a ride.  Oh, I was tempted.  He looked like a nice man, but I couldn't take the chance. 

I told him "I'm all sweaty, I'll ruin your leather seats".  He said it didn't matter, but I shook my head, smiling, and thanked him, right as the light changed.  If I'd had a Bible I would have given him one. 

So, I absolutely use common sense.  If I have a day out and buy stuff, I make sure it's something I can carry with one arm, leaving one arm free if needed (sure came in handy during my mugging). 

Which reminds me, I don't let people stand right behind me anymore, even in the nice areas.  I move off and put my back against the bus pole.  When sitting on the bus bench, I sit at the end.  When sitting on the bus, I sit up front, by the driver, which is a smoother ride.  I can also sit at the edge, leaving the rest of the bench seat free (they run the length of the bus, about 5 feet long for "disabled" seating, and I have a disabled pass). 

I sit in an open area, right in front of the camera, near the driver.  Common sense. 

Ron said it best, though:
"Fear says, something bad is going to happen.  Don't know when, or what, but it will happen!" 

He continues "God says: 'Trust me, I built the universe.  Don't you think I can take care of you?  Or am I an incompotent dumb-ass?" 

When you listen to fear, you listen to the devil. 

Of course, use common sense.  :) 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just learning that preachers are responsible for committing the most terrible of things on their flock. That being preaching and teaching things in the Bible that are just not true.

1. Tithing - this is old testament doctrine not new testament. Perhaps we would not have so many churches in this country if this unbiblical practice would stop being taught. To give is a wonderful thing. To think it is a requirement. Is wrong and not what the Bible teaches.

2. The belief that as soon as person dies they are either in heaven or hell. Anyone who has died is currently not in either place. They are all dead in the ground waiting for the final judgement of God. Then if their names are written in the book of life they will receive eternal life on Earth in the kingdom God establishes (not go up to heaven). Those that are not in the book of life will be destroyed physically and spiritually.

3. The concept of hell as a place of horrible torment for all of eternity. This just not align with what Jesus did on the cross which was take on the sins of the entire world (not just a select few).

People will either accept Jesus Christ and acknowledge his resurrection and receive the gift of eternal life or they will cease to exist after death.

4. Pretribulation Rapture. This is a false teaching also. I am not going to get into this one as so many are blinded by this belief. Google reasons for and against and decide for yourself.

5. So many churches. So many denominations each believing they are teaching the right way from the Bible.

God never intended their to be all these different churches and statements of faith. He intended for their to be one church and one body.

We must study what preachers, pastors and others say. Not just blindly accept that they are dividing what God has said correctly. If you have not researched both views then how can you know what is the truth?

Heather Knits said...

I agree with you on the tithing, but nothing more.

Gang, this is Jehovah's witness propoganda. If you are proud of your faith, you should claim it. If you're who I think, you like to put these little nuggets, links, etc. This one I am permitting, although portions of it enrage me.

Hell is real. Many people have found that out to their eternal agony. It is the worst kind of sin to tell people there is no hell, and "God only sees the good things you do". I have done my research on you guys.

Also, the founder of the JW's was convicted of perjury, when trying to sue someone. He claimed he knew Greek - and couldn't even identify one letter in the Greek alphabet. Under oath.

Here is a Wikipedia link on their faith. Basically, they have falsely predicted the end of the world on several occasions.

They get the FALSE PROPHET award.

I believe in "Bible Only" - they have a fancy latin term but my unreached might not understand. Bible Only - gang. That's all I go on.

Pretrib rapture - you better believe it exists. It is found in the Bible.

Hell is real. If you die unsaved you will roast.

I make an ongoing ass out of myself, doing Bible Handouts. I invest money, time, and precious energy into spreading the Gospel.

Why? Because I feel it is my duty, my obligation, to warn people: We have all pissed God off. We will all go to hell unless we accept Jesus' free gift of salvation.

When I die, or get raptured, I want to know I did everything I could to share Jesus in a loving way.

I never go bang on doors like the JW's. I let God lead the recipients to me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for agreeing with me on the tithing. So many pastors/preachers teach this to their members are the truth and the gospel. It is very sad as many who tithe believe that is what it means to give and help others.

Heather why don't you believe in the second thing I brought up either? There are scriptures to back this up. I can give them to you if you want or just Google it.

How is telling people that if they die without getting saved that they are going to roast?

Do you really think that God is like some type of Hitler that would create man with free will knowing he would sin and give into temptation and that many would reject him only so he could send you to hell where you will be eternally tortured forever and ever. Where is the God of mercy? Where is the God of justice if he does this?

Even on earth when the Jewish people were being burned in the ovens and murdered they had the release of death to take away the pain and horror.

Why would God be worse than Hitler or any of the other evil men that have existed on this planet and hurt people?

Where would the mercy of the God you speak of be in regards to that? Please do not tell me that God has his own form of mercy.

All throughout the New Testament there are no examples of God causing torment and torture upon his creation.

Think about it from that perspective and no I am not a Jehovah's Witness just someone who the truth has been revealed to and who has been struggling with this based on a Baptist philosophy I have had for over 8 years after receiving Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Saviour.

I do not believe as some do that all will be saved but I do know God will not make people roast in hell for all eternity.

If that was the case true Christians everywhere would not cease night and day warning and sounding the alarm bells as what a terrible and horrible fate it would be for people to have this happen to them.

Instead most Christians are content with Sunday service, Bible Study before church and on Wednesdays. Giving their tithes and going about life smug in the knowledge that they are not going to be the ones who will burn for all eternity.

The Bible has been written and passed down by man. A fallen/sinful creature. It is inevitable that things get added or taken away from so that whatever agenda of the age is promoted and pushed. This is why it is important to know who God really is and divide the truth of what a preacher says with what we know God really is.

God is not an evil master. He loved us so much he sent his son to die for every single sin that was committed and would ever be committed. A final blood sacrifice to bring all of man kind to reconciliation with him. To bring people the eternal life he intended for us all along.

To think he would keep a place where souls would exist being tormented night and day after he establishes his kingdom on earth is just not in the Bible.

I hope you have the courage to actually see opposing views and the scripture they base this on before just dismissing everything out of hand.

Heather Knits said...

I have always known, I guess you would say "In my spirit", that hell existed. What I read in the Bible backs it up (and I don't want to get into the sheol argument).

I wasn't even really *taught* a doctrine of hell, either. I attended an extremely lukewarm chuch that didn't even preach salvation. They did, however, encourage Bible reading.

At this level of medication, I don't have the "brain" to write out a coherent defense of hell, so I ripped others off. LOL

http://www.compellingtruth.org/is-hell-fair.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/eternal-hell-fair.html

I do agree with their defense of hell.

Heather Knits said...

Well, I said I had a limit and I have had it. I will not put *that* in my blog. I have to answer to God for every word I publish and I see no merit in publishing deluded, false, teachings from wolves. I don't need to chastise you, though. God will hold you to account.

So, you are basically saying that because Jesus "existed" everyone is pardoned from sin. We went around about this a year or two ago, if you're the same person.

But, in the same breath, you say that sin is the result of man being unduly influenced by the devil? "The devil makes me do it?" I thought only little kids believed that.

We chose to turn from God - we, humanity, chose to reject Him and His way of running things. We have chosen to embrace and nourish our own inner darkness. We wanted to manage on our own. Well, this is what it looks like when we run things on our own. This is, effectively, what it looks like when we tell God to go to hell.

I don't have to defend the Bible to you. The Bible can defend itself. John 6:45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’

I will also share a verse that surprised one of your sisters: James 1:5

New King James Version (NKJV)

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. "

I don't need someone to "teach me to understand the Bible". If I sit down with a Bible, any Bible I will challenge you - pray and ask God to show me what He would like me to learn - to put His understanding into my heart - He will do so. "It will be given to him." "They will be taught by God". So, I don't need you, or any organization, to "tell me how to understand the Bible".

I have a word for you REPENTENCE. We have to REPENT of our sin - stop it and turn from it - turn to Jesus, ask for His forgiveness, before we are assured entrance to Heaven.

I will not be publishing any more of your comments. You are, effectively "Cut off". I can't, and wouldn't, block your access to my blog, and you can submit comments for moderation, but I will not publish them.