Saturday, March 30, 2013

"How will he see?"

Ron and I have decided to work unconventional hours - when the customers are there.  They love to see us, hard at work, filling their vending machines. 

That includes at least one night a week, and Saturday.  So, today Ron and I haggled out the budget for merchandise, went to the store, and bought the inventory. 

Pretty uneventful, except I had Ron in his wheelchair.  I stacked the cases of merchandise on the arms of the wheelchair, it went a little over his head. 

One of the warehouse club employees got upset and asked me "How is he going to see?" 

He isn't!  Ever! 

I found it hysterical and laughed my butt off. I almost fell down.  Ron played "victim" and pleaded for rescue, which made me laugh even harder. 

I found it truly funny because she does know he is blind.  She just forgot he was blind, because he was in the wheelchair. 

People can fathom blind.  They can fathom wheelchair.  They can't fathom blind and in the wheelchair.  I found that very upsetting after Ron's setback back in 2008 - the allergic reaction and neuropathy, that put him back in the wheelchair. 

People were always staring.  I got very paranoid when people did that. 

In fact, when I was a kid, going to the big city with my family now and then, I always stared at the homeless.  "Heather, don't stare" Mom would hiss "You don't know what kind of problems they have."  Meaning, mentally ill people DO NOT like staring children.  Good point. 

Now, I find it very funny to be on the other end of the staring.  Of course Ron doesn't care.  He's blind.  B a but people can't imagine a blind man in a wheelchair, so they have to stare at him for a minute. 

I didn't find it so funny at the time.  I'm sure there's a lot of raving floating around out there.  Now my meds are right, I'm tired, but I'm not paranoid any more. 

Anyway after that we went to work.  Even the driver laughed at Ron, loaded down, mock-pleading for "rescue".  "Senior abuse!  Blind man abuse!  Save me!" 

Ron can always make me laugh. 

We went to work and I stocked it.  I was very happy with my product mix - things the other vendor doesn't sell.  I have to offer them a reason to come to our area.  Our average customer walks by at least one of the other vendor's "satellite break rooms".  to get to our area. 

I remember that. 

I was happy to get it stocked, then we did the end of the month accounting things.  I did pretty well with that. 

Ron wanted Wendy's chili from the mall, so we got him that.  I got a value bacon cheeseburger and a couple of chicken nuggets.  They were good, and I thought "I'm eating 3 different animals, and a large drink, for less than $5".  Yum. 

We had a good ride home, thank God. 

I had gotten someone elses's mail, and Ron called the guy, who came over.  I have him his mail (medical test results) and a Bible, which he was happy to take.  Please pray for him, if you pray.  That was very cool. 

I had taken my pills already, so I took a nap for a few hours.  I needed it, I didn't sleep well last night. 

Then I had a nightmare about Baby Girl peeing on the floor, and realized I needed to go to the bathroom!  I was happy to see Bubba had climbed into bed with me at some point and carefully got up around him. 

Now I'm just wrapping up my "internets" before I go to bed.  I have to get up early tomorrow. 

No comments: