Sunday, March 24, 2013

The receipt

If you're on Facebook, you probably saw the "reciept".  It purports to be a food stamp receipt, used to buy lobster and porterhouse steak.  Well, if it was, they must have been pretty small. 

So, then I read the usual rantings about "trash who abuse the system", etc. 

I'm a believer in the Bible, and I think a good verse applies:  "2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. "

I work.  Ron works.  Neither of us "has to" - if we both got disability checks.  However, I don't believe in taking from the system if I have a roof over my head.  If things got drastic of course I'd apply for disability - I qualify twice over, once for the bipolar, and once for the Fetal Alcohol. 

Ron and I work because we want to.  Even if we could live off the system, we'd feel terrible about it. We wouldn't feel guilty (we are disabled), but worthless.  People - all people - find a value in working.  In knowing that what they do is so important someone is willing to pay them to do it.  You can't beat the feeling of getting your paycheck. 

In my case, I need a reason to get out of bed when I'm depressed.  If my bills are paid regardless, I'm in big trouble and will probably require a hospitalization.  I need to work - for my health. 

Now, some people abuse the system.  No argument.  However, careful audits would go a long way toward correcting the problem. 

"They" also need to work on the food stamps debit cards.  Right now a crackhead can sell the debit card to anyone, who can then go and use it.  THAT's how you see the nice dressed people in the SUV, with the food stamps.  They are using a card they bought off a crackhead.  They pay $40, for $100 card.  It's considered a good deal. 

It is completely unethical, lying, and stealing.  It is a sin.  However, I don't think the users are very concerned with sin at the time. 

Ron always reminds me, we're living in the end times.  We remind each other "It's supposed to get bad". 

Yes, it is. 

It's just sad to see all the hating and judging. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every generation has believed they are living in the end times and every generation has been wrong. People always think that things are worse now than they were in the past but the truth is that people have been pretty consistent throughout the ages in their humanity and inhumanity toward fellow man. Immorality has always been questionable and perhaps it only seems worse now because of the access to technology that we have today.

Heather Knits said...

Well, let me put it this way. If you see an increase in natural disasters, more economic disaster, civil unrest, etc... THEN a bunch of "Bible Thumpers" disappear, AND a guy shows up who says he can fix everything (he will be charming, at first) - you might want to pull out your Bible. [salute]