Saturday, March 23, 2013

Explicit Descriptions

By any standards, I was a sensitive kid.  I hated to see violence on TV, even though I was told, again and again, "It's fake".  I also cried when I saw the homeless people, sleeping on grates in the winter. 

Somewhere along the line, I toughened up.  I found myself, at one point, reading a completely obscene description of a 3-way between a woman, a vampire, and a werewolf in wolf form.  I finished the book, put it down, and thought "Do I want to read whatever comes after this?"  The series had progressed from mild kissing, to that.  Of course no one was married.  She couldn't commit to one man. 

I realized I was done with the series.  I threw them all away. 

So, that did it for the "explicit descriptions" as they term it in the talking book catalog.  "Contains strong langauge and explicit descriptions of sex".   I was done with any book with sex scenes. 

I did get a book at one point after Ron's accident.  I found it very helpful.  "Enabling Romance".  The world is full of perversion, but ask a medical person a simple question about married relations and everyone's treating me like a pervert.  [rolleyes] 

We figured it out just fine on our own. 

Then God started working on me about the violence in the things I read and saw.  This is happening with Ron, also.  "I don't want to read a whole chapter on how someone got tortured". 

[Ron has given me permission to share anything but blackout behavior, not that he plans any for the future.]

So, I found myself avoiding a lot of thrillers.  What I do read, if they have violence, generally describe it very briefly.  "As Sam pulled the trigger, Jerry collapsed on the ground, releasing the hostage".

If they have a full selection at the thrift store, I generally find myself loading up on inspirational romances.  Most of my Kindle has biographies and nonfiction.  The fiction is generally historical. 

I didn't think much about my TV watching, until Ron came up to the front room one night.  Our only television (the one even a crackhead didn't want, but I love) is located in the front room.  I have a chair, facing the television.  The kitchen area is to my right, and behind me.  Ron was working in the kitchen, drinking a beer, and sitting in his wheelchair.  He put his TV dinner in the microwave and set it for 5 minutes. 

I watched my show.  Someone had unleashed a mythic monster and it was eating the townspeople.  Ron just sat there, in his wheelchair, between me and the kitchen.  The microwave beeped and he got a cardboard tray (He carries his TV dinners in a cardboard soda tray, and uses it while eating, too). 

"What is that?" he asked, passing my chair.  "It sounds horrible". 

He was right.  I was addicted to those shows for a long time. 

Another time, he came by, while I was watching TV, fixing another dinner.  It was a fishing show, and the editors had "beeped" out the profanity.  I didn't think much of it, until Ron asked if we had a severe weather alert. 

The edited profanity was so dense, Ron thought we had a weather alert.  "Beep-beep-beep".  Now, Ron never asked me to stop watching anything, but when he pointed it out I realized I didn't want to stick that in my brain. 

When we watch TV together, it is usually a documentary, the news, or one of those cutey animal shows. 

Now, since I believe we are living in the end times, I expect a certain amount of societal degradation.  I expect immorality, baby mamas, profanity, corruption, etc. 

What I did not expect was a frank discussion of sex acts - on a show about preacher's daughters.  It got so obscene I had to turn if off. 

God is coming any day, when a preacher's wife is talking about sex acts on television.  It was graphic. 

No comments: