Thursday, March 14, 2013

Has to offer

Yesterday, I ate some oatmeal rasin cookies.  Later on, I ate some sharp white cheddar (I adore sharp cheddar).  One of them did me in. 

Today, my one-day-off-all-by-myself, I woke up with a migraine.  Miserable. 

I got up, did my  God time, and took a shower.  I watched a little "Criminal Minds" (love that show) and went to bed. 

Ron asked me why I had yet to take my phenergan.  I told him I didn't know, but I did.  Taking it meant admitting I had a migraine. 

Sure enough, it put me under "enough" that I could rest, even though I had wierd dreams about the TV show.  I always have wierd dreams during a migraine. 

It was a lovely day, nice and sunny, beautifully mild, but I didn't dare go out.  Even if I were able, it's been my experience that migraines come back when I'm away from home.  Waiting on the bus with a migraine is a hell I hope you never experience.  Not to mention riding the bus - very loud. 

When I have a migraine, I have intense pain on one side of my head, extreme sensitivity to light-sound-scent, and often nausea.  Sometimes I vomit, boy, those are the worst. 

I used to go to the hospital and get a shot of Imitrex, but it caused me to become manic.  It also gave me symptoms like a heart attack, and I have a family history.  I decided I would rather endure a migraine than have a stroke or heart attack. 

I do know all about the neurological status exam.  Squeeze my hand!  [tired grin]  They always checked me out to make sure it isn't a stroke or some kind of brain hemmorhage. 

So, the only thing I take for a migrine is Excedrin (they are all the same formulation, whether or not it says migraine on the box), because it can help in the beginning.  If the Excedrin (I always take the generic) doesn't do it I go to the phenergan and lie down. 

Ron was exceptionally quiet, just what I needed.  If he ate he didn't heat up the food.  When I got up he had just checked the mail and found 3 talking books.  He was thrilled. 

I hated missing a nice day, but the last time I "had" to stay home (broken toe last year) a murderer was on one of my bus routes.  I always figure it's like the old story of the guy who broke his leg and "missed" the Alamo. 

Besides, I'll have eternity in Heaven.  That will be a lot nicer than anything Earth has to offer. 

3 comments:

Melanie said...

My Dr has given me phenergan a couple of times and I've really never understood what it's for-nausea? I have a really strong gag reflex, EVERYthing makes me gag, even brushing my teeth (I use a child's toothbrush, no problem with that). I get nauseated easily, even at descriptions. Antibiotics always nauseate me. I can't believe that when I was growing up, drinking epsom salts in warm water was a cure for almost everything, lol. If that didn't cure it, my dad's concoction of something with Worcestershire sauce was the "cure". If he thought that we were pretending to stay home from school, Tabasco went into the mix. If we were really really sick, a spoon of honey/whiskey. None of us drink, lol (10 siblings)

Heather Knits said...

For me, the phenergan takes the edge off the nausea and helps me rest. Rest is really the important thing.

I read your description of "The Cure" to Ron and he died laughing. "No!"

The traditional use for phenergan is to control nausea and vomiting. For me, it also seems to take some of the migraine pain. I love it because it is not narcotic, and does not make me freak out either.

Melanie said...

.That reminds me-there is a lemon drink beloved of the British Royal Family (dates from Edwardian times, IIRC) called "lemon squash". All I recall about it off the top of my head is that it involves lemons and and a bit of epsom salts, probably ginger ale or sparkling water. Their version must be somewhere on the internet, I've looked it up before. Believe it or not, it sounds like I would love it, if it was cold enough, because I love tart/tangy lemon things with just a ouch of salt to "kick up" the tang. But it would have to be ice-cold for the American in me, can't do those room-temperature Brit-style drinks :)

Glad Ron got a "funny" out of our old-fashioned cures:). They really did work somehow, though also my dad was a strong, no-foolishness person you didn't play with -in his mind, if you felt that bad, you felt bad enough to do whatever it took to feel better, and no ifs, ands, or buts about it! Maybe the sheer force of his will and prayer got us well! No slackers allowed when I was growing up! (Couldn't blame my parents, with ten kids, ranging widely in age).

My strong gag reflex didn't kick in until I was an adult, good thing too, or I'd have never made it past adolescence! (Ie picking up cow patties for fertilizer, etc, and the creepy-crawley surprises you get when you shuck corn-ugh! That may have helped to set it into motion!)