Thursday, March 7, 2013

"You can beat her, if you want"

Today, at Sam's Club, cutting through the store, I found myself surrounded by champagne.  I thought of the song "G6".  "Poppin' bottles in the ice...." 

I don't drink.  Where do I start on why I don't drink?  The shortest and most honest answer: I have seen too many sloppy drunks, humiliating themselves.  I don't want to humiliate myself that way.  The public answer: the last time I drank (true, and only about a tablespoon of spiced rum), I hallucinated giant roaches everywhere, got really paranoid, and hid in bed for hours.  No one forces the issue, after that.  It could also kill me with a drug interaction, I don't like the way alcohol makes me feel, etc. 

"This would be heaven for an alcoholic, after an apocalypse" I thought.  Then I wondered how they would preserve all the meat in the freezer case, before it spoiled.  Spotting my target, I went into shopping mode. 

I whipped out my cell phone "They have Lipton" (in the cans).  "Get it" Ron barked.  "Already done".  Then I went over to the Cokes and told him the food cost on the 16.9 ounce bottles. 

Our day didn't start so efficiently, though. 

It's not my fault.  It's not his fault, either.  Bubba has forgiven me, for rolling over on him twice in one night, weeks ago.  He has come back into my bed.  If I'm in the bed, he's in the bed.  It's lovely.  Lots of attention, petting, rumbling purrs, and affection from my favorite cat.  If I "have" a cat, it's Bubba (the black one in the slideshow).  If Ron has a cat, it's Baby Girl (the tabby). 

He was so sweet and loving, lying by my head.  I had to hit the snooze button a couple of times.  Then, when I got up, I had to take a shower. 

A quick side note: I am very impressed with the Pantene Ultimate 10 "line".  I bought a bottle of the shampoo + conditioner, and a bottle of the "balm" (hair cream).  I've used them a few times and it really makes my hair look better.  Softer, not as frizzy, etc.  I can run my fingers through my ponytail after taking a nap.  Ron likes the fragrance so it's a winner for both of us. 

After I applied my hair stuff, I went and did my God Time.  However, our ride was supposed to come at 7, so I could only manage the Bible Study part.  So I thought. 

An hour later, the ride finally pulled up.  I pride myself on never getting upset with a driver who is "late", because I don't know the context.  Sure enough, she told us, she had a vehicle full of slow clients scheduled for a very early pickup.  She arrived at the workship well before they opened, and because the clients were slow, had to literally sit with them until the caregivers arrived (a while, apparently). 

Many of the group homes schedule a very early pickup for their clients, so they can get rid of them early, then go on to work their other job or go home.  I think the paratransit company should only pick up the "workshops" after the workshop is known to be open. 

From what I see, 99% of the slow clients live in some kind of group home.  I only know of one who lives with family.   From what I hear, that's about right.  When a slow person turns 18 they generally go straight to the group home. 

Anyway, we finally got to Sam's.  While I was in line to checkout (they have a lovely lady who is very sweet to everyone), Ron called and reminded me I had mentioned I needed crackers for snack 3.  He was right, I got them, then got back in line. 

We had a good pickup from Sam's, and then got to work.  I managed to carry the Lipton in through the credit union, while Ron carried his pickles and the crackers. 

I should tell you about the pickles.  Ron had asked me to get them on Tuesday, but I forgot.  When we got to work, a customer approached us, wanting pickles.  I apologized and told her I'd get them as soon as possible. 

"I want one now!" she complained. 
Ron was carrying a plastic tray used to store sodas.  He offered it to her "You can beat her with this, if you want?"  She started laughing. 
"I don't want to beat her!  But you'd better get those pickles!" 

Today was a day off, but we got the pickles.  She will be happy tonight.  We stocked the crackers and pickles, made sure the machines were working, and left. 

Again, another looong wait.  The driver couldn't find us?  I can't find a google image, probably because it's a federal building, but the building takes up an entire city block. 

At least the weather was nice.  I was glad they took the trip away from that guy, frankly, that level of incompotence scares me.  I don't WANT to ride with him.  Metrolift hired a regular cab to take us home. 

Happily, the driver was a guy we know; in fact, he lives a couple blocks away.  That was a nice end to the day. 

When I got home, I was pretty beat, so I just ate a TV dinner, took my medication, and went to bed with the cat.  He's itching a lot. 

I think I need to put the Advantage on him.  So much for my cuddles.

No comments: