Monday, March 11, 2013

Almost-fight

I woke up with a horrible migraine, but I'm having an easier time now. 

I have eaten excedrin like candy today - 3 doses.  I hope I can sleep tonight.  I hope my head improves. 

So, I promised I would tell you about the almost-fight yesterday. 

One thing you need to realize, I am not very organized.  I have a lot of trouble with executive functions.  What's that?  Organizing, planning, scheduling, managing type of things.  "Where will I put this?" being my biggest problem. 

We got a letter from the mortgage company this weekend.  "You didn't pay your school tax!"  Yes, we did. All $292 of it. 

What would that buy, like, one textbook? 

Anyway, I was concerned.  As these things go, this was an iurgent, mportant paper.  I get pretty anxious about handing those off to Ron, who has a braille filing system in his closet.  After his head injury.  When they kept telling me he would be totally dependent, he's taking care of me. 

So, I rather agitatedly brought it in to Ron and gave it to him.  Ron thought I was anxious about the content of the letter.  I wasn't.  I just wanted to hand off the urgent, important, thing to him before I lost it.  Especially since it relates to the mortgage. 

Ron was irritated "What do you want me to do about it on a Sunday morning?"   "Put it away" I told him.  So, he did. 

He later came to me, why are you so anxious?  We paid this already, it's just a glitch and fixed with a phone call. 

I don't care about the contents, I told him, I just don't want to lose the important thing!  THAT makes me anxious, not the letter - not when I wrote the check and mailed it myself. 

Oh, he said.  Next time try to convey that!  I thought you wanted me to fix the problem right then! 

2 comments:

icebear said...

Men are "fixers" not talkers... but you don't need me to tell you that :o)

Melanie said...

That's exactly true! My husband is the same way-if I bring anything to his attention, he thinks that means I need him to do something about it, right then, even if I'm only bringing it to his attention as a matter of interest. He's not as bad as he used to be, after app 30 yrs of living with a female-me, his wife-after ALL these years he's finally starting to understand that sometimes 'm just telling him something as a matter of interest, not because I think he can do something about it.

I really don't see why they're like that with us though, when they can discuss football, etc with each oher and it doesn't mean they have to get on the field and make a touchdown!

Maybe because they "take care of" us?