Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chain him to his desk!

"Chain him to his desk!" I exhorted. 
"We'll do that," he replied laughing "Thank you."  I thanked him and then we hung up. 

That was just the start of my day.  I slept in a little, hit the snooze a few times.  I always blame Bubba (the black cat).  He sleeps by my head at night.  It's almost impossible to tear myself away from his cuddles. 

I finally got up and took my shower.  As I got out of the shower, my bathrobe fell in the toilet.  That was completely disgusting.  Normally I am a bathrobe person.  I get out of the shower, put on the bathrobe, dry off my hair and my lower legs with a towel, and walk around in the very loud yellow bathrobe for several minutes until I dry off. 

I couldn't do that today, so I grabbed one of my purple towels.  My family like to give me dark lavender bath towels.  It's a popular color and one I love (I would adore a huge, purple bathrobe).  I got some purple towels for my wedding, and Mom and Dad sent me some more for Christmas.  I've kind of gone with that theme in the bathroom, except for the aforementioned loud yellow bathrobe. 

I dried off and got dressed, then went to do my God Time.  About halfway through, Ron's phone rang.  He spoke for a minute and then called me.  I got up and said "Who is it?" 

"It's the Bank Fraud Department".  Uh - oh.  I picked up the phone.  "This is going to suck, isn't it?" 

Not badly, the man told me.  Bad guys had hacked my debit card somehow, and attempted to run several transactions, all of which were declined due to insufficient funds. 

Yay, poor!  If I'd had any money in there it'd be gone. 

It was very funny, the only transactions I'd run were a $1.06 song purchase from Amazon, and two charity debits (Gospel for Asia, and World Missionary Press).  The other ones were clearly not missionary. 

So, he told me, the good news: I would not have to go into the bank and file a claim.  We were doing that over the phone.  [I had asked and answered the security questions].  They hadn't gotten my money, but clearly my card number had been published. 

"We're going to have to put it out of it's misery" he said.  So, we killed it, and they will send me another one. 

Shame on them, whoever they are.  Can't they put that energy into an honest living? 

I asked to speak to the supervisor and gave my guy a compliment.  "We won't let him leave" the boss told me, which is what led me to the chaining to the desk comment. 

I hung up, loving my bank.  I told the boss I'd say nice things on Facebook, but they get blog coverage too. 

I really like my bank.   I have had my debit card hacked twice, now.  They were awesome both times.  I lost my debit card once (I never did find it so it may have been stolen), they were great about turning it off and getting me a new one.  I have brain dead moments making deposits - I have a hard time filling out deposit slips.  I can't tell you how many times I've given them my ATM card, or ID card, and simply asked them to make a deposit to my account.  They have always done it cheerfully.  My account fee is very low, too. 

God knows they earned every penny. 

So, the rest of the day went better.  We had a trip to Walmart.  I needed girl stuff and cat food.  I got the dry cat food, and then remembered how much the cats had enjoyed the lobster dinner cat food.  I got some super supper, etc.  It eliminated my soda budget, but I'm drinking a lot of iced tea in the morning instead.  I didn't even go near the soda aisle today. 

I had a tight budget, but that was OK.  We didn't need much.  Ron wanted some TV dinners.  I read him every dinner (Banquet, the cheap ones) and he made his selections.  He got 5.  I got a few things for myself, a couple pot pies, and a Banquet dinner.  I had enough left in my budget for a pint of Butter Pecan ice cream from Blue Bell.  It was very good.  Cat food, people food, girl stuff - I forgot the cat treats. 

I had lost my notebook a few weeks ago.  I use it to keep track of my cycle.  Man, I was lost without that thing.  I had no idea when to expect my "gift".  I finally found it the same day the gift arrived.  [laugh]  Things haven't been too bad this time. 

We came home, it was a good ride.  I watched a little TV, ate the ice cream, took my lithium, and took a nap.  Bubba got in bed with me.  Oh, it was so hard to leave him again, but I had to go to work! 

Work has 3 shifts, always open, always running.  The third shift (about 2-10 PM) and the first shift (overnight) are the busiest.  So why do we ignore them and only serve the smallest, day, shift?  We have been working more on the third shift and agree we prefer it. 

The customers are a million times nicer, too.  They love to see us working the same hours. 

In fact, I had 2 people apologize for not buying as much as they used to.  I thought that was very sweet. 

Ron and I got everything done, the machines looked good, stocked everything, did the coffee machine, and time to go.  We had a GREAT pickup, and even a straight ride home. 

It is a carpool service - a straight ride is the exception, not the rule.  Thank you. 

I wanted something ready-made, and decided a cup of noodles would do.  I'm waiting for it to cool down.  I hate eating overly hot food. 

Ron already ate a Mexican. 

Dinner. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you really want people knowing your last name and where you bank?

Seriously I hope that this was not a phishing scam and you did not give them your account information, etc.

Please edit your post and remove the banks name. While you may be poor. identity theft is still a reality and the less information people have about you the better.

Just Concerned.

P.S. Please do not take this lightly and wave it off. It is serious.

Heather Knits said...

No, it wasn't. They told me the account number and asked me one of my security questions. I didn't give them my social or pin number.

Since my name was published (against my will and without my consent) back in 2009, nothing bad has happened. I didn't even know it for years until I googled myself. That sounds inappropriate. LOL

My debit card was hacked at a blood lab - the first time. They took my card into another room, took a long time with it, said they couldn't get it to work. I STUPIDLY gave them Ron's card. They "got it to work" and a few weeks later we started getting unauthorized charges on both our accounts. So, I don't let anyone take my card away from me.

I figure someone hacked one of my charities and got my number that way, a virus on my computer possibly (although I use an antivirus installed by my tech brother in law), or, most likely, they had a handheld scanner and scanned my backpack.

I need to get Ron and I some of the aluminum wallets.

Oh, and I only keep enough in that account to cover my charity debits. If I want to buy something online (rarely these days) I make a deposit and do the transaction that day. It's not like it's our primary account used to pay everything. It's just my charity account, basically.

HOWEVER since you are worried about me I will take it off.