Friday, January 4, 2013

I don't believe in soulmates

It may surprise you: I don't believe in soulmates. 

"My cruel marriage to a heartless man has broken my dreams"?  No. 
"I feel like the man I married isn't my soulmate"?  (that's a very risky place to be) No. 

I just believe there are a lot of men out there.  Some of them would make me a wonderful husband.  Some of them wouldn't. 

Hopefully, like Ron, he wouldn't be a neatfreak.  Mandatory: like Ron, he would share my faith. 

I just refuse to believe there's only one person out there for me.  Ron and I have a very real and noticable bond.  How much of that is our life together and how much is just chemistry?  I don't know. 

Now that we're 20 years in, it's a little hard to tell the one from the other.  Love and history. 

Most of our drivers would swear Ron and I are soulmates.  So would the coworkers.  Family?  I don't know.  I think some readers would be happy to see the last of Ron.  That's not a dig at you, I'd be pulling my hair out and screaming "Heather, you stupid!" at the screen, reading some of my posts, if I weren't living them. 

My grandmothers never remarried after their husbands died.  Admittedly, they had kids to raise and one of them was bugnuts.  But, I'm sure men were interested. 

Were they pining for their lost soulmates?  Perhaps.  Afraid to love and lose, again?  I'd say likely.  Frankly, it's none of my business, but I can only go on my own family situation. 

Did you know my birth mother was married seven times?  She had long term relationships in addition to the marriages, too.  She was a vibrant woman. 

She did get saved a few weeks before she died.  That's what matters. 

My Dad loved my mother deeply.  After she divorced him, he found love with another woman, and married her.  They've been married now for 33 years. 

Anyone can find love, again, even if they think they lost their "soulmate". 

No comments: