Friday, January 4, 2013

4 Things I've learned

My neighbors are having a party tonight, so expect a lot of posts. 

In a 2 month period in 2003, I had Ron teetering between life and death, my favorite grandmother died, and I lost my birth mother. 

One thing about waiting around on someone to come out of surgery - again.  A lot of time to think. 

I came to some conclusions: 
1.  Fights aren't worth it.  No matter what they did to you, it doesn't matter in eternity.  I've had some awful stuff perpetrated on me.  With God's help, I got over it and moved on.  Carrying the grudge around will hurt you. 

My birth mother died thinking I hated her because I didn't reach out.  I regret that. 

Whatever it is they did to you, they probably didn't intend to do it.  Even if they did, you don't know where they're coming from.  You can only guess, but you can never get inside someone's head - to where whatever it is as an acceptable thing to do.  You don't want to go to that place, either. 

It's a lot better to make your peace with it and move on, than hang onto it.  Forgive them and let it go.  You can't do that?  Of course not, but if you ask God to help you forgive them He will.  That's how I got to forgiveness.  I wish I could make a list of all the things I had to forgive.  Your eyes would pop out of your head.  I will say I have been assaulted and cheated on, for starters.  Not at the same time! 

2.   A life with God is a life worth living.  He has carried me through everything.  Can you imagine having a "bad trip" for over 30 years?  I did.  The only constant in my life was God's love and care, when every human failed me.  Not only that, He led me to medication that gave me a life I couldn't imagine. 

3.  Don't go to bed angry.  It actually says that in the Bible.  "'Be angry, and do not sin'; do not let the sun go down on your wrath"  - Ephesians 4:26.  As a rule, Ron and I try to practice this. 

When I was sitting in the ICU waiting room, the day of Ron's accident, I was really glad I had forgiven him when he'd apologized for shouting at me, not 12 hours ago.  I kept saying that again and again for weeks - "I'm so glad I forgave him", which goes right back to point #1. 

4.  The best thing I can do for myself is starting every day with God.  That means chapters of Bible reading, a few devotionals (two are hand me downs from the beloved Grandma), and serious prayer for literally everyone in the world, and especially those who "done me wrong".  It's very liberating to put a bad guy on the prayer list. 

I get up an hour early, but it's the best hour of the day. 

That's it. 

No comments: