Monday, January 7, 2013

God meant it for Good

Today is the 10th anniversary of Ron's accident. 

My first thought on the subject is probably the most important:  "My God is in the resurrection business".  Ron was legally dead - he had to be revived.  He went to Heaven - which, considering we weren't legally married, says a lot about God's mercy. 

The rest of my thoughts on the subject are far less spiritual. Anger, at Ron's family.  Anger at the driver - although I am working on that.  I even wished the driver "Happy Anniversary" today at work, and meant it.  I don't know if he got the reference but he said "Thank You!" and waved cheerfully.  The driver, much as I'd like to make him one, is not a demon.  He's just a bad driver. 

However, having run over a blind man at a red light, he is effectively without a license.  He cannot afford insurance, and many companies, I hear, don't want him.  Understandable.  If he'll run over a blind man at a red light, wearing a flashing safety light I once saw from a mile away, what else will he do? 

He has a motorcycle now.

I have a lot more trouble when I get to the officer who investigated the accident.  He falsified the accident report.  Lied about the witness (who Ron believes may have told him it was safe to go).  I spoke to the son of the witness, so I know there was a witness.  However, he was afraid of lawsuits and hid like a coward. 

The officer, not content with his current work, then stole the money Ron had in his backpack, a lot of money, enough for a big delivery, bank deposit, and our rent money.  Then he went to the hospital and told me the accident was all my fault because I let him out of the house by himself.  Excuse me, Ron walked to work, by himself for 30 years. 

I felt pretty awful about that - and what a thing to tell a woman whose husband could die at any moment - until Ron reminded me - the guy ran a light.  I couldn't have seen that coming and we both would have ended up in wheelchairs.  God knows we can't have that. 

So, it ended up being Ron who absolved me of that.  But it wasn't just the officer.  Ron's family blamed me for the accident because he was travelling alone.  They didn't understand he didn't want my help every minute of the day. 

Ron used to encounter friendly drivers while walking to work (it was about 3/4 of a mile along the busy street).  They were always pulling over and offering him a ride, which Ron usually declined. 

Ron's brother had gone to work raving about me, told me this actually, and his coworker said "Oh, that blind guy.  I tried to give him a ride several times and he kept saying no".  The clan finally backed off, at least to my face. 

They wanted Ron in a nursing home.  He could only go there if everyone said no to caregiving.  Well, I said yes, so they went behind my back and tried to discredit me to his doctor, who thankfully laughed in their faces. 

But, I learned a lot - the world is full of wonderful people.  They took up a collection for me at work and online.  I had help with rides (vital).  People sat with Ron when I went to Walmart.  I was sleeping on the floor, but someone donated furniture (Ron slept on the floor due to his bad back, and I gave him my bed after the accident). 

I started doing the Bible handouts, heartsick at the thought of people suffering alone without God.  As a result of the accident, thousands of people have gotten the gospel. 

Ron learned the depth of my love and committment in a very real way.  We got married.  I had a great wedding, I just had to tell them what I liked and show up (I had my hands full with Ron).  My family rallied, something I did not expect. 

So, it all worked for Good, just like it says in Genesis 50:20 "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good". 

No comments: