Thursday, January 24, 2013

Heather's Chop Shop

I've been up for 16 hours straight, and so tired I'm hearing music that might not be there.  I know up-for-16 hours is not a big deal for an average person, but I've got a different brain from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and some heavy duty medication on board to manage the bipolar.  It's a lot. 

So, let me tell you about "Heather's Chop Shop".  First, though, I need to tell you a little about our location and the blind vendor program.  We have most of the machines we started out with 12 years ago.  They all belong to the State of Texas Blind Vendor program.  We own the inventory and that's it. 

In fact, when Ron leaves the program, he is required to leave a certain amount of inventory, or money to replace it, for the next vendor.  Overall it's a good program, but like our guy said "Everyone is hurting" right now. 

So, what a nice surprise that the program bought some new vending machines.  The last one we got, nicknamed "The Beast", arrived a few years ago.  Unasked for, it has done alright once I figured it out. 

Today, we got a new fridge/freezer (needed), a new snack machine (I really needed to replace the "biting" one), and a new food machine.  The old food machine was a Rowe. 

Rowes are fantastic vending machines, but they only make jukeboxes now - so parts are very hard to find.  When Ron found out it was going away I asked if we could "strip" it - and our boss said "Go ahead".  It is going to the junkyard, not to another blind vendor.  It's only smart to take the good parts and save them for use in the other Rowe. 

So, this morning we got up at 4 AM, went to work, and I ran a chop shop, with the repairman, taking EVERYTHING off the old Rowe.  I think we left a few screws, but we got the compressor (those are big bucks), 2 control boards, LCD, vending machine doors, you name it.  He took it all down to the bones. 

Then, we put the parts into our big stockroom.  I was able to get one lock out of the vending machine, but the repairman had to get the other one.  I like that I can install a vending machine lock on pretty much any machine.  I don't mind getting my hands a little greasy. 

I did some accounting and inventory things, in addition to stocking. 

So, we did our stocking, made sure the dead ducks were empty and ready to go, and waited on our guy from the state.  Sure enough, they came.  They did the snack machine first.  Goodbye, I will NOT miss you, you biting monster.  The new one is very pretty and I like the design.  It is tamperproof, good looking, has it's own surge protector, nice LED lighting, guaranteed to drop the product, very nice.  We'll be good friends. 

I installed the Medeco lock (our special order lock we use on all the machines) into the new machine as they brought in the food machine.  Our boss was thrilled we had stripped it down.  "It's only smart" he said.  It's just going to the junk yard, it has been depreciated past value. 

By the time I came up for air, having triumphantly installed the Medeco with only a little cursing (Ha!), they were bringing in the new fridge/freezer combo.  Looks like we need a special outlet thing for that.  But Ron says it still works now anyway. 

Then they left, and we had to, too.  I was beat.  We got home and I crawled into bed, exhausted.  I came up for air a few hours later. 

Ron wanted to order a pizza.  I put my food into Fitday and figured I could eat some.  I only went 11 carbs over for the day, not bad for my first week. 

I'm still figuring out my new eating plan, but I like it. 

Tomorrow is a partial day off, we need to do things away from work, but the rest of the day is ours. 

Last thought, I read this tonight and thought it made a great blessing: 

Psalm 20

New King James Version (NKJV)

The Assurance of God’s Saving Work

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

20 May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble;
May the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
2 May He send you help from the sanctuary,
And strengthen you out of Zion;
3 May He remember all your offerings,
And accept your burnt sacrifice. Selah
4 May He grant you according to your heart’s desire,
And fulfill all your purpose.
5 We will rejoice in your salvation,
And in the name of our God we will set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions.
6 Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
8 They have bowed down and fallen;
But we have risen and stand upright.
9 Save, Lord!
May the King answer us when we call.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell the parts on craigslist!seriously just meet at a fAst food joint for the sale. You can earn some Badly needed cash. If they said " keep it" you could, if they said that you could " only keep it for replacement " well of course ethically you cant.
I use craigslist but my friends husband was the guy murdered over a ring. But they invited them into their home and that would NOT be safe. However we have sold on craigslist a lot and met folks inside a coffee shop, so we felt very safe! I just have a coffee while I am there

Heather Knits said...

Nah, can't do that, breaking commandments. Everything to do with the machine, except the inventory, belongs to the state. Besides, they do break down and we can use our "extras" to keep the other one running. That's why our guy wanted us to keep the parts.

Anonymous said...

That is why I said did they give it to "YOU" personally.
I am certainly not an advocate for theft, but Tossing it in the dumpster implies it was trash is all.
Yup your devil is around every corner I guess. But you vs the dump? But hey if you sve money later it is all good for you!
Hey life is hard for everyone
I have scrounged copper recycled it and built a henhouse now I donate eggs to the foodbnk volunteers nice up cycle if you ask me!

Melanie said...

Heather this is one post I won't delete-I am so glad to hear that you try to stick to ethical standards, it means a lot to me to know that people do in this sick sad world, because this world really gets me down sometimes, the way people are now. It seems so different from when I was growing up and people really meant it if they gave their word, and there people like my father, who, no matter how hard we had it and how hard he worked, wouldn't have dreamed of stealing so much as a loose penny from anyone.