Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I had considered going to a feed store today.  Supposedly, Houston feed stores have lovely, local veggie seeds. 

Option #1, involved about 2 hours each way, and walking through a REALLY bad neighborhood.  Option #2 - another really bad neighborhood, and 2 hours + on the bus.  Option #3, walk half a mile north of the bus stop, though a better neighborhood. 

Well, somewhere between not finding the place, after 3/4 of a mile, the broken bottles all over the culvert, where I had to walk, because they had no SIDEWALK; I decided it wasn't worth it.  I was pretty upset. 

I just wanted to go from point A to B.  Sorry, you're broken, you can't do that. 

First, I got up.  The birdbath was clear of ice... and my plants nicely covered.  I ate, did my God Time, and layered up.  Ron warned me it would feel like 20's for most of the day with the windchill.  I did long underwear under sweats, and the fleece jacket on top.  Over all that went my big blue coat.  I was fine. 

I went to Foodtown and got some soda; and noted the saltines I sold are discontinued.  I hate to disappoint my postal workers.  The next option would cost about 50 cents.  I don't know if they'll bite, if you pardon the pun. 

I was kind of depressed this morning, manic in the afternoon.  That's a mixed episode for me these days.  Or maybe it was rapid cycling.  I realized at some point I was brooding; and not about the things I found upsetting. 

Ron felt better; but now I feel warm and tired.  I'm pretty flushed.  I hope this does not mean the flu. 

Anyway, I made a conscious decision to focus on other things.  I had a nasty headache; and my period had started. 

What's got me alarmed, is the fact that it started, and stopped.  The last time it did that (about 17 years ago) I had a horrible kidney infection that landed me in the hospital for a week.  I was a complete and total brat, too.  I'm sorry. 

I went to Starbucks and had a Bad Thing with my drink.  To rip off a line from AA, I need to decide, I will not eat any Bad Things TODAY.  It's very simple when you view it that way. 

Ha, I like how I can turn bad things in my life around for the better.  Never would have read that line, but for Ron. 

I brooded and whined as I drank my drink.  I resented the fact that my 100 count bottle of "Migraine Formula" headche tablets (generic Excedrin Migraine) is half empty, and I bought it a month ago.  Then I tried to be grateful I had them to take.  And they worked. 

What did I want to do?  Well, I thought, maybe I could go to the Fiesta.  It is not near the house; it is massive.  They have a produce selection almost as large as my subdivision lot.  I sat by the road, waiting on the bus.  Thanks, Lord, for the bus bench.  OK.  I'll do it. 

Maybe I could find some Jerusalem Artichoke tubers, or maybe a Yacon tuber.  I am interested in growing either in my garden this year. 

Fiesta didn't like the looks of me.  Yes, I am wearing a large, old coat.  Yes, I have a backpack.  I got my own personal shadow.  At first I thought it was an odd coincidence, seeing the same man over and over.  Then I realized he wasn't shopping.   When I smiled at him he got all twitchy. 

[shrug]  I'm honest, nothing to see here.  I had fun.  I got some jicama; didn't see the other things.  I got an INDIAN bitter melon; they had both chinese and indian varieties.  I love Houston.  I'll see if I can get some seeds and grow them.  They do great in the heat.  I like them; just not in soup. 

I found some incense.  I thought it was very cool, in the Old Testament God tells Moses that he wants the Levites (the tribe of priests) to burn an incense made of Frankencinse and Myrrh when they minister at the altar. 

I like to burn incense when I pray; it's certainly Biblical.  It makes the experience more pleasant (no incense if I have a headache).  When I saw Frankencense and Myrrh, incense, I had to get it.  I thought it was so cool.  I liked it.  I have plenty, they incense was only $1 each. 

I got some ginseng tea, and a can of oolong tea (drinking it now, tasty).  No sugar, product of Japan.  Very good clean flavor.  Full of antioxidants, but I'm drinking it 'cause I love Oolong tea.  I spent about $12 total. 

So far I had spent $5 at Starbucks, and $12 at Fiesta.  I had a creepy manic guy in line behind me.  I prayed about it and got a great idea. 

There was a big, burly, guy waiting off to the side.  He was obviously waiting for someone.  I pushed my cart right over next to him.  He glanced at me, and I rolled my eyes back at Manic Man (bouncing around like a demented rabbit and babbling).  He nodded and stood there as I took my time "arranging my stuff".  Manic Man went away.  I smiled thank you and left. 

I always figure God sticks THEM into my life to remind me of Before (pills).  It is easy to get tired and frustrated.  I lose things, the house is a mess, I'm forgetful.  But I'm not THAT, either.  Thank you, Lord. 

I wondered if the local nursery could deliver potting soil.  I would like to grow some sweet potatoes, in a large pot.  From what I read, clay soil and "sweets" don't get along very well.  Bugs and disease.  However, I can make my own custom blend in a pot.  I rode and the driver let me off right next to the entrance!  What a nice man! 

I love all my bus drivers.  Without them I'd be so limited. 

Of course the place was in full wintermode lockdown.  I discovered they would deliver potting soil, and 3 bags of cow poop cost $10.  I plan to buy 6 bags. 

She laughed when I told her how much I needed delivery.  I can't take it on the bus.  I can't take it on Metrolift, and I sure can't take it in a cab!  [quaking with laughter, as I envision one of those nice Town Car cabs]  No.  It's got to be Jose and his truck. 

Thank you, Jose.  About a year and a half ago I got several bags of mulch, cow manure, and all delivered.  It worked great.  In fact, the delivery beat me home; when I turned the corner it was sitting at the top of the driveway. 

I got a list of what and how much.  I was delighted to see they had pole beans. 

I had debated the purchase of some Rattlesnake pole beans, or maybe some purple.  The purple did great a few years ago.  In fact, I got depressed and couldn't pick them all, so they went to seed.  Then I had purple volunteers coming up for a few years.   I also hear excellent things about Rattlesnake.  Well, they had a combo package of seeds, with both!  Yay! 

That'll save me plenty of shipping, too.  I have no problem buying off the internet, especially since I am limited to the bus, but I prefer to buy local, AND small business, if possible.  Now I could. 

It cost $3, I could probably buy a packet each of seed at Walmart or Home Depot for $1 each, but I like Renees garden brand, and I love the nursery.  I know I am a little wierd, and probably talk too much... but they are always so kind. 

I headed off to the bus stop.  Happily, the homeless people were all downtown at the shelter.  The incense smelled so nice, everywhere I went a lovely fragrance. 

I had bought additional Bad Things at the Fiesta.  I decided to feed them to the pigeons.  By the time they had eaten the Bad Things, my bus arrived. 

I got home, helped Ron with some accounting, put some birdseed out - I caught sparrows eating off the bell thing I hung out yesterday.  I did some weeding, and dug up a new garden bed outside this window.  I am tired of seeing weeds and a fence. 

I dug up 4x4 feet, and spread some amendments (I have depleted my stash) on top.  I need another rain, and then a few days later I'll finish forking it.  Then I need some more Emerald Edging.  It's a hard plastic edging that is fantastic.  It isn't cheap, a 4-foot section runs about $8, but so worth it.  It keeps out all those nasty invasive things.  Once I set that I'll be ready to plant. 

I also decided to plant some of my red caladiums in the front garden, it is mostly shaded from spring to fall.  I only get about half sun in the winter.  I'll have some on the side, and some in front. 

I may grow some lettuce in the side bed, it is pretty much full shade, and ought to do well in the summer.  I know the leafies like shade in the summer. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

I looked all over for your email address so I could inquiry privately, but can't find it.

What is the name of the nursery that delivers? I live in Houston, too.

Thanks,
Amber

Heather Knits said...

Just call and ask, many of them do for a small fee.

I can't say where I go, safety issues. Especially since I ride the bus.