Saturday, October 1, 2011

Role Model

As a young child, I never had a good, clear image of a woman's role in life. 

No, this isn't some nauseating "submission" thread.  Ron's the head of household, I'm OK with that.  I have a mouth and I use it.  I make choices that are safe and healthy for me.  I give, and expect respect. 

That said, with my unfit mother, the first, healthy, adult, female, role model was the Black woman who ran the daycare center.  She was efficient, professional, kind, and authoritative, without being "butch".  I hated being away from Daddy, but once I got over the daily separation meltdown, I liked her just fine. 

I think, because she was such a positive and healthy role model, it gave me a tremendous amount of respect for Black women.  When Ron told me he was ethnically "Black" - I didn't care. 

So, today.  We got up very early.  Since it's the start of the month, many of the paratransit clients have a full "Lone Star" food stamps card, a disability check, and the will to spend!  It makes for horrendous delays and very long trips, if we ride later.  I asked Ron to make the earliest trip possible to get to Foodtown.  He did. 

I got there about 6:30 or so.  I scored 5 pounds of discounted ground beef at a dollar a pound.  I cooked all of it, and turned half into chili.  It came out VERY well.  I plan to turn the rest into chili tomorrow.  I canned it up, and since I was at it anyway, made a batch of Ron's favorite pinto beans and sausage dish.  I canned most of that, and the chili.  Well, I AM canning it. 

I have to pressure can it, and that takes a while.  Pretty much an all-day project, meal prep, cooking, and canning.  However, I feel like a good Proverbs 31 woman. 

Proverbs 31, NKJV

She is confident.  She runs her own business.  She provides for her family.  She laughs at disaster. 

You know, for those of us with less-optimal childhoods, she's a pretty good role model! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, I have read your blog for sometime, and you have a great talent as a writer. I was wondering if you could write more about your experiences with the Lord?
As a fellow Christian, I would also ask, "don't you think the picture of you on the hood of the car is contrary to what the Proverbs woman would be advocating?

I really believe you can do better than that. What is the exact purpose of it?

Heather Knits said...

Purpose?

You have heard of the concept of "humor", have you not?

I will explain for the impaired. It is funny; me in sexy car model pose, on a car, because 1. I'm not a sexy car model and 2. It is my aunt's car, not a sexy sports car. It's called "irony". That is why I am laughing in the photo, instead of making sex eyes at the camera and seductively sucking on a finger or lollipop.

My aunt, a nice Christian woman, actually took the photo and said it was "cute". This is a woman who won't even wear a sleeveless top. If my benchmark "normal Christian woman' says it is fine, it is.

I'm surprised, if you were going to get upset about a photo I figured it would have been the one of Ron in the dress, one of my bathing suit photos, or a weight loss progress photo.

I "appreciated" your judgemental comments so much I gave you your own post. That is, if you have the courage to come back and read it. It has been my experience that a lot of people like you prefer to post and run.